Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 1:22:05 PM EDT
Well, I've been thinking about getting an AK for some time now. I figured I would order one from AimsSurplus in a couple of weeks. Well I went up to the Middletown gun show to get some ammo. As I'm walking around, I see a NIB Romanian SAR-1 with 1 10rd AND 1 30rd magazine, sling and cleaning kit.

Price was $259 !!!!

I could not believe it. Most of the other dealers were asking $319. Some were asking $375! Well I bought it faster than you can say YEEEHAAA! I paid $260 in cash, out the door including tax.

I think I got a great deal. Now I need your guys advice. Here are some questions I have:

#1 Where can I get spare parts (bolt, firing pins, spring, ect) online. I'm anal about having spare parts for all my firearms.

#2 I would like to replace the wood furniture with black synthetic. Were can I get these online?

#3 I would also like to put a "pinned" muzzle brake on the rifle. Which one do you recommend and where can I get it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell must have indeed frozen over.

Excellent deal!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You did good!!!!!!I paid $269.00 at aimsurplus for a SAR 2 (AK74) a couple of weeks ago. Anything under $300.00 is a real good deal. listen to campybob, he's the expert around here regarding AK's, he won't lead you astray...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. This is the first AK I've owned. I've always been a M1A and AR15 guy. But I must say the AK feels real nice. I can't wait to get her to the range.

CAMPYBOB>>> THANKS! Just one question though, why don't I need a bolt? I've always had spare bolts for my M1A's and AR15's. What's different about the AK bolts. Also can you recommend a good book about the AK. Something that covers cleaning, diassembly, care ect. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's because the bolt is not a known failure point on an AK under ANY known circumstances.  

If the bolt brakes, whatever was strong enough to have caused it would have probably also blown the receiver apart.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent price!!!  Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice deal!
Now get some spare ammo and spare targets to go with your spare range time!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a great deal.  Congradulations!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#9]
In your lifetime you will never fire enough rounds to require replacing the bolt on an AK.  They are a far more durable animal than those lower quality weapons you mentioned.  The odds of you ever needing any of the other spare parts a pretty slim too.  Also, as to clenaing , disassembly, care, all that information is here.  I clean mine about every 3k rounds whether it really needs it or not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice deal!
Now get some spare ammo and spare targets to go with your spare range time!

Not a problem, picked up 4,000rds of Wolf after I bought the rifle
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered some 30rd mags from Aimsurplus last night. They seem to have the best deal on AK mags, $7each for box of 10 mags. I was at a gun store yesterday to see what they had in mags. Now, I'm in this store all the time and I've bought allot of guns from them in the past. They wanted $31.95 PER MAG !!! Needless to say I did not buy any mags from them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not a problem, picked up 4,000rds of Wolf after I bought the rifle

You are SO welcome here!!!!!!
Starting new gun with 4,000 rounds deserves a
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, the nice thing about Ak mags is that new used, does not really matter, they all work.  I think I have only heard one incident of a mag failure and that involved one so badly abused that the front tab was missing, don't know how someone accomplished that, but they did.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top