Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 9:35:28 PM EDT
I bought this gun sight unseen for $300.
Pretty ugly as AK's go. Milled receiver, phosphate finish. Marked "Model SLR-100H,
CAL.7.62x39,Arsenal Bulgaria,Intrac,Knox TN.
No other marks but serial number.

Parts kit is blued,Top cover is Blued.
Rear sight is Graduated to 800M. Rear Sight is marked with a "D" at the lowest setting.
Almost looks Hungarian.
Furniture is butt-ugly blonde, stamped with "U.S.AK97". Over-sized wood grip, forend is similar to a RPK style. It also has a pinned on 74-style Muzzle brake.
I will shoot it tomorrow and see if it is worth keeping to fix up or maybe just keep it as a beater AK.

Let me know if you know any more about these.

Thanks, KyARGuy

Anyone know about these guns?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Either way,he still got a hell of a deal on a milled Bulgarian receiver considering there are no more to be had.If the parts turn out to be crap,you can always find another type III parts kit and start over with the Bulgarian receiver.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Iirc .....didn't they also sell those as barreled actions? ....wasn't it Tennessee Guns?? is my feeble old mind failing me?

Did someone say SLR100?There were some nice ones around.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The SLR-100H receivers were Arsenal of Bulgaria made, and they were sold here through the Intrac Company. Intrac sold them in two ways....one way was selling just the receivers......and the other way was to build some up as complete AK's and barreled actions using used surplus Hungarian AK parts kits.
The built up guns were not done by the Intrac people themselves, but rather Intrac contracted outside firms to do the builds for them (which is an Intrac normal procedure). A few companies that I know were contracted to build the SLR-100H AK's for Intrac, were the Gordon Technologies firm, Ohio Ordnance firm, and Blue Ridge Precision. I believe there was at least one more on that list (just can't remember which ones). The thing is, they also sold quite a few of the SLR-100H receivers as stand alone items. These were to be built by other companies and private individuals.

What leads me to believe your gun was not a complete Intrac offered SLR-100H gun, is that you mentioned that some parts are blued, while others are phosphated. If the gun is a 100% Intrac offering, it should all be one finish (like the phosphate, which I believe was the standard for that Intrac offering). If you remove the lower handguard and find the letter G stamped into the right side of the barrel, it will be a Gordon Tech build, which was one of the companies contracted to build complete SLR-100's for Intrac. There would be other tell tale markings on the receiver or in some other place on the gun that would prove the gun was built by one of Intrac's outside builders (that is "if" indeed it is a complete Intrac offering). The fact that you found no other markings beyond that of Intrac's, is another clue that it probably is not a complete Intrac offering.

You definetly have an Intrac SLR-100 Bulgarian receivered gun, but not sure if the whole gun was an Intrac offering, or a gun built up by someone else using the Intrac receiver. The SLR-100 receivers started life in Bulgaria as 5.56/.223 milled receivers that were originally intended to be made into a new Arsenal USA offering. It was a project that fell through because of BATF regulation changes here in the U.S.
You see, Arsenal USA was planning to offer a 5.56/.223 version of the SLR-95, but then the foreign made thumbhole stock guns were also banned from importation.

Later, the receivers were modified for 7.62x39 use, and purchased and imported in by the Intrac firm.

Whats kinda funny is that Arsenal USA ran out of SSR-99 receivers at one point towards the end of that models production run, and Arsenal USA ended up buying some of these Intrac SLR-100 receivers to finish their projects. So some of these receivers that were originally destined to be Arsenal USA products, ended up being just that ;) While some SSR-99's were built using these SLR-100 receivers, the actual legal model designation had to be listed as SLR-100 because that was the receivers designation.

Hope this helps a bit :)

PS. While I don't know what the quality of your guns build is, I do know that you have a top of the line forged, milled, and heat treated Bulgarian receiver :)

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys so far...
It's been a big help.

Couple of other things i noticed:

The barrel has the front sling mount located
on the gas block, which is slanted.
The gas tube has 4 holes on each side of it.
I noticed that the Front sight wings are
uneven, almost as if it was a modified Chinese to look like a Euro/Commie front sight.
I beleive that it may be a Chicom
parts kit (Milled MAK-90). The pinned on Muzzle brake looks Chinese to me. The parts kit has all the same serial number on them also.Trigger is a
double hook set up.

I got to shoot it the other day too, 45 rounds during lunch, 15 out of 3 different mags.
NO FTF, FTE...Bumps like a maniac too!!
Really loud with the standard barrel and the brake.

The plan right now is to get Synthetic furiture for it and send it off to ORF for a BLARK treatment. I will take some pics of it and try to post a few of them.  It's got to be one of the ugliest AK's i have seen.  It makes a SAR-1
look like a SA-85M...Yes, that Ugly.

Thanks again Guys!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
For some reason the name that comes to mind for the 4th contracted company is the now out of business MSC company (I think the owners name was Mike, or something like that) :)

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a good series of pics of this gun.
Send me an Email if you want to see them.
I dont have a way to post them, otherwise they would be up already.

Thanks, KyARGuy

Email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Kyarguy,

send me your pics at:

[email protected]

I'll post them here for you.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeepcreep,

The bore is like new on the gun. Bright and it shiney. I havent taken off the brake yet, but i suspect that it is a MAK barrel.

The stock had "US 97" stamped in the pieces.
I would assume that means it was built in 1997.
I will pull the brake and let you know what i find underneath.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Well that was easy...

Using an Allen wrench as a punch and a mallet,
the roll pin came right out.

VOILA!!  Threaded barrel under the brake...:)
AK standard 14mm Reverse threads.  
Hmmmm....

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmm.....

Got to wondering if it was possible to adapt a stock set from a stamped receiver to a milled one. Sure... let's try it.

FWD 1.5 Hours: Take one SAR-1 Furniture assembly, One EXACTO razor saw, one very sharp wood chisel, and about 1 min run time on the DREMEL. BINGO!!  The Ugly SLR is forever gone.

Actually looks like an AK that i would show someone now.  Still needs to be refinished,
new mag catch and maybe a correct ribbed top
cover. But even the custom SAR wood is a
HUGE improvement over the thing it was.
You cant beat garage gunsmithing!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine is the MSC built Intrac, Bulgie milled receiver with Hungarian demilled kit.  It is nicely finished in phosphate finish.  The wood furniture is cr@p, so I put on a set of KVAR synthetic. Still runs flawlessly after many many rounds.  May be I got lucky because back then, MSC didn't have very good feed backs on their rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top