Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:13:10 PM EDT
Talking to a gentelman today about ak's and he mentioned he had a virgin amd-63 kit and I got real interested, come to find out he has a FEG receiver to go with it and I got really excited!

I do not know a ton about Hungarian ak's but I know this one would be nice to add to the collection. I am going to look at it this week and the person that owns it has probally forgotten more then I can ever learn about a firearm so no issues there at all as I know he will answer my millions of questions I will have about this kit and receiver, I just want to know a little more in advance about this particular variant so when I am looking it over I can know a little better what I am looking at/for and ask the important questions.

So Learn me a little on these virgin kits and imported FEG receivers please..even if it's the most basic of things, I'm always fishing for knowledge and insight on things I am about to add to the stable :)

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Only about 700 AMD-63 kits were imported IIRC, someone will be along shortly to confirm/deny. Not sure if any were "virgin" per se, it's probably pretty close to mint as he describes it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll agree the imported # was around 700, give or take 100.

An AKM-63 should look like the top one, bottom is a AMD-65 for reference.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
A military AK63 kit in good condition is a very good find. FEG receivers are among the very best and are fully heat-treated. The question is, where did the receiver come from and what is the model number? In other words, you just don't find FEG receivers for sale unless they're the SA2000Ms with single-stack magazine wells. You can open it up for regular double stack. Maybe he took an SA85M out of it's receiver to make the AK63, but that's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Does the receiver already have the trunion and rear block in it? Are these the AK63 parts or from another rifle? So you need to find out what receiver he has and how much work, if any, will be needed to make it right for the AK63 kit.
The gas tube should be numbered to the gun, or at least should have an FEG-type number from another AK63. This is important, because the standard-length naked gas tube is the only part of the kit that's different and very hard to find. I had to make one out of a standard Bulgarian gas tube for my AK63 look-alike. The vented steel forearm and pistol grip is what they later used for the AMD65, and these are plentiful. The buttstock is hard to find and should match the pistol grip in a muted teak color. Rifle finish on a 'virgin' kit would be a semi-flat black, and FEG always finished the bolt carriers in black too.
Then you have the requirements of 922r, so you'll need some USA parts, like a Tapco G2 FCG, USA-made muzzle nut and a magazine with USA-made follower and floorplate - KVAR has the mags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks that's the kind of info I was after.

All I know right now is what he told me about it..

Complete Virgin amd-63 kit that was imported some time ago and FEG receiver that was imported by ??. He told me but I cannot remember I think he said he has had it for 10+ years and the receiver is single stack. He said it is ready for the kit.

If it helps the receiver serial number is below 100
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a nice AKM63 kit awhile back and had it mated to a Nodak custom serialized receiver. Used IWD wood on it to help with 922 compliance. Came out real nice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a nice AKM63 kit awhile back and had it mated to a Nodak custom serialized receiver. Used IWD wood on it to help with 922 compliance. Came out real nice.

Man I wish nodak was still doing the custom serial # receivers.

So what are these kits? Demilled military rifles or virgin kits or both?
Did they only import them one time for a short time or 2 different times, One being the demilled and the other being the virgins?

What kind of value do these kits have in today's market?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$400-$500 and up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I wish nodak was still doing the custom serial # receivers.

So what are these kits? Demilled military rifles or virgin kits or both?
Did they only import them one time for a short time or 2 different times, One being the demilled and the other being the virgins?

Yes. Hungary sold complete new guns (virgin) to somebody in Hungary. A USA importer bought them but the receiver had to be 'demil'd' (demilitarized) in order to be imported. This was years ago before they stopped allowing the kits to be complete with barrels. The receiver, which was a machine gun, had to be at least torch-cut in three cuts with the center section not imported. Everything else is just a rifle. It is a plus having the FEG receiver, but of course you will want to have that opened up for double-stack mags. You might look into having the gun built and receiver modified by one of the companies that have been doing exactly that with the AMD 65 kits, like Tennessee Guns, Inc., 'TGI' or some others. I don't know if they will do that for a private person but you could ask. They already have the jigs and tooling to do the receiver.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of those 700 kits. Should have bought more back then. I believe Centerfire first offered these about 10 years ago. Unissued, all matching for somewhat over $119..Bought one to try as soon as they were made available....Became my first AKM build and turned out sweet....the favorite of my dozen AKM's :)  You'll read that Afghan police are not pleased with their issued AMD-65's. Shortcomings like a shorter sight radius, flimsy wire stock, some parts don't interchange with other AK types and unreliability. The AMD-63 does not have these shortcomings and is like any other standard AKM.

Quoted:
Only about 700 AMD-63 kits were imported IIRC, someone will be along shortly to confirm/deny. Not sure if any were "virgin" per se, it's probably pretty close to mint as he describes it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
To hell with the Afghan police and what they think. The AMD65 was designed as a special-purpose rifle for special units and applications, one of which was as a port-firing weapon. Another was for airborne troops. Short gas system, wire stock and short barrel made it lighter, and the stock folding made it compact. Lots of compromises there but it was never intended to be the standard service rifle. Plus, for the civilian owner, its a unique and visually-striking AK variant that is a blast to shoot. I like mine more the more I use it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To hell with the Afghan police and what they think.

To be fair, for their needs, it's not the right weapon for the job.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]

To be fair, for their needs, it's not the right weapon for the job.[/quote]

That's the truth

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
speaking of hungarians - does anyone know where I can find pistol grip ferrules so I can use ironwood design grips on my AMD 65?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To hell with the Afghan police and what they think.

To be fair, for their needs, it's not the right weapon for the job.

Agreed. But the point is, that fact is meaningless to us.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I am one of the many US contractors that have trained the Afghan Police on the AMD-65. I can tell you first hand they do not have a lot of drive to use the weapon proficiently. Just getting them to qualify is a chore.

The AMD-65 is more than sufficient for them. When they can consistently apply the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then and only then, would it be appropriate to give them upgrades.

Not to mention the fact that when these police recruits finish there basic training and go to their duty stations (kandacks). Their commanders take the newly issued weapons and equipment from the new officers and give them old ratty AK's in their place.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

speaking of hungarians - does anyone know where I can find pistol grip ferrules so I can use ironwood design grips on my AMD 65?

Matt makes both types of grip. One that uses the ferrule and one that doesn't. At least he used to.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am one of the many US contractors that have trained the Afghan Police on the AMD-65. I can tell you first hand they do not have a lot of drive to use the weapon proficiently. Just getting them to qualify is a chore.

The AMD-65 is more than sufficient for them. When they can consistently apply the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then and only then, would it be appropriate to give them upgrades.

Not to mention the fact that when these police recruits finish there basic training and go to their duty stations (kandacks). Their commanders take the newly issued weapons and equipment from the new officers and give them old ratty AK's in their place.

Been there done that, had a ANA company for a year - they had bulgie milled underfolders, at least you could get a decent cheek weld with them.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt makes both types of grip. One that uses the ferrule and one that doesn't. At least he used to.

Thanks - I'll email him

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:26:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally got to go look at and buy the kit and receiver..

The receiver is marked sa2000m and was imported by tennesse guns, it's a new factory FEG receiver with no rivit holes drilled.

The kit is one of the new demilled akm-63's that I'm still unsure who imported but is mint other then storage marks.

It's off to the local builder now so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have some pics of my complete rifle to post and a range report :)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top