Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/23/2013 10:58:23 AM EDT
Getting an SA85, pristine condition, thumbhole stock, neutered muzzle.  

What would you do?

poll added
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Speaking from experience, keep it pure. I fucked up a KBI POST-94 SA-85M due to watching too much nutnfancy and wanting a tactical AK and I ended up dumping WAY too much money into it and selling the thing as a loss.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one years ago. I Spent $60 & got a real Hungarian buttstock & pistol grip. Threading a barrel, & adding a bayo lug is not worth it to me to spend money on.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got an SA-93, same condition as your SA-85, I'm de-banning it into an AKK.
If you've got other "tacticool" AKs, I suggest you de-ban it but keep it pure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you can get that beautiful wood stock and grip, go for it.

If you're going to put on CAA grip and a Tapco folder, then please don't.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO...de-ban and restore to original military configuration.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
make it look like this

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Deban with Hungarian furniture.  If you take your time, you can get the real stuff in the ee.  I got everything to Deban mine there in 6 months time.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
make it look like this

http://i.imgur.com/UbC6iet.jpg
View Quote

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS! Hot dang those are gorgeous, have been wanting one for a long time now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
make it look like this

http://i.imgur.com/UbC6iet.jpg
View Quote

That's beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration. I was not planning on making it "tactical," but rather, keep it as a blonde bombshell. I guess I could always wait for an IWD stock set, or like the poster above, wait for the parts to come up online.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Deban with Hungarian furniture.  If you take your time, you can get the real stuff in the ee.  I got everything to Deban mine there in 6 months time.  It was fun.
View Quote

You have some?  I tried to find some for years. Tried to get one butt stock from Ironwood but they weren't making them when I wanted one. I had pistol grips but sold them as I like a fatter grip.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Doing an SA-85M deban is a project I've had in the back of my mind myself. They are excellent rifles and look sweet in correct military form. I've thought of just buying a pre-ban, but most are underfolders, which I'm not as much interested in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]

I found the stock! Can you believe that. Also a guy on the EE is selling correct type gas blocks. I had the pleasure of getting a destroyed AKM-63 kit that I stole the stock from. This kit had a gasblock with the bayo lug lobes ground off so I didn't steal that however it helped me see the exact machine markings of a original Hungarian gasblock. I then used my superior aircraft sheet metal skills to rework this early Romanian flat bottom gasblock to a near identical copy of the real thing. Looking at It I think I could fool the best of them. My next step is to have the Infiniti selector markings engraved.
SEE WHAT YOU STARTED MAC!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
a good Russian AKM wood set would also look sweet.

the SA85 is one of the finest AKM variants made.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You have some?  I tried to find some for years. Tried to get one butt stock from Ironwood but they weren't making them when I wanted one. I had pistol grips but sold them as I like a fatter grip.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Hungarian stuff I have is what I put on my rifle.  It took six months to get it all, but I got it all off the ee.  Stock, pistol grip, gas block, etc.  Even the correct sling.

Your rifle looks great BTW.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Get rid of the thumbhole.  I added the K-VAR OD Green Warsaw stock set and am very happy with the end result.  I do wish I would have kept the original wood just in case, but I sold it years ago.

I have no use for the cleaning rod, bayo lug, or slant brake so I am leaving that alone.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The only Hungarian stuff I have is what I put on my rifle. It took six months to get it all, but I got it all off the ee.  Stock, pistol grip, gas block, etc.  Even the correct sling.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Hungarian stuff I have is what I put on my rifle. It took six months to get it all, but I got it all off the ee.  Stock, pistol grip, gas block, etc.  Even the correct sling.

I ain't got time for dat!  I need instant gratification

I kind of like my cheapo Bulgarian buttstock and pistol grip.  I don't need a correct rifle, it would just give me more reason to sell a gun if it is worth more.  I bought too many $300.00 Romanian SARs over the years, found myself just having to deban them and dress them up with correct parts and pretty wood, only to sell them for $500.00 or so.  It became a disease I have tried to cure myself of.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SEE WHAT YOU STARTED MAC!
View Quote

Mario over @ PoHF could hook you up with the engraving.  He's over on the NW side off Prince Rd.  One thing about Arizona is you can always find a deal on AK's when people need money.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I say deban. I'm in a similar situation, but my only concern is adding a buttstock.

Is the rear of the receiver the same as a standard AKM? Are both tangs intact or is there any mods that have to be made?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
They only have one tang on stamped receivers
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for deban
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top