Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:06:50 PM EDT
I just have a quick question....

What do you all use to remove carbon build up like at the end of your Gas Piston? Or anywhere else on the rifle?

I've been using Break Free CLP for all of my cleaning but I'm in the mood to give my gun a really intense cleaning. I just got a new job and I'm not sure how often I will be able to shoot it so I thought I would clean the Sh*t out of it before I get to busy with work.

Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Mpro-7 for carbon removal.  Whatever you use, just let it soak for a while, an maybe use a bronze brush to scrub off the carbon on things like the gast tube and piston.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a wire wheel in a electric drill to remove the carbon then lube it with CLP. The CLP gets into the pores of the metal and keeps the carbon from sticking so tight. So the next time I clean it I don't need to use the wire wheel.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all of the help guys!

I think I'm going to try the wie wheel way, since I need an excuse to use my new dremel.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I soaked the gas piston in CLP and used a bronze brush to remove the build up, I also used the plastic handle side to remove the caked on crap that the bristles wouldn't remove.
Looks like a million bucks now.

Thanks for all of the help.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The fastest way to get rid of carbon build up is Simple Green,full strength. It will strip all oil, lube, carbon, and everything else off of metal,I wouldn't use it on alluminum though. You will be suprised. Of course re-apply some lube.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The fastest way to get rid of carbon build up is Simple Green,full strength. It will strip all oil, lube, carbon, and everything else off of metal,I wouldn't use it on alluminum though. You will be suprised. Of course re-apply some lube.

We used to use Simple Green on the Base I'm stationed at, but they found out that people where cleaning Aircraft struts with that stuff and it eventually breaks down the metal making it brittle. So we weren't even allowed to use it on our Support Equipment that I work on.

I wonder if it would have the same effect on the Gas Piston, or if this would even really be in issue with that part?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
+1

That is some great stuff!  Soak it for a few minutes, take it out, wipe it down, and carbon is gone.  If it is really stubborn, scrub with bronze brush, soak again, and then the carbon is gone.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top