Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:40 PM EDT
Hey guys, i am wanting to store my polytech aks762 in the safe for awhile, and wanted to know the proper way to store it. Do i leave a thick film of oil on the rifle? What would be the best way to prevent rust. What else would i need for my safe for long term storage? Im worried about coming back 3 months later and the rifle covered in rust, i dont want that to happen.

Shawn
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A thin coat of good gun oil will be fine. I only re-oil my safe queens about once a year. I would recommend rem oil, cheap and easy to obtain. Just make sure you clean it good, then a thin coat of oil, and you'll be fine. If your in a very high humidity area, a de humidifier would be a good investment as well.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
bump for more opinions....

shawn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A thin coat of good gun oil will be fine. I only re-oil my safe queens about once a year. I would recommend rem oil, cheap and easy to obtain. Just make sure you clean it good, then a thin coat of oil, and you'll be fine. If your in a very high humidity area, a de humidifier would be a good investment as well.

Do you need to oil up rifles even if they are in a climate controlled room?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You can also get some commercial style Desicant bags.  They are the same type of Silica gel stuff that comes in shoe boxes and clothes pockets.  These are just bigger.  You can also 'recharge' them by baking them in the oven per instructions that usually come with them.  These help to remove the moisture that would be in the safe.

Any kind of good gun oil (RemOil, CLP, etc) will be good.  Some of my rifles don't get cleaned for 3 months.  That is rare, but sometimes happens.

DK
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I use gun socks for my rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Cosmoline is your friend
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cosmoline is your friend

and where do you get that at?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cosmoline is your friend

Untill you have to clean it off
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Put a coat of BreakFree CLP on it, then store it in one of those socks that are impregnated with Silicon.  I do this for my antique Winchesters (I only take them out once a year or so) and I don't have any rust issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've seen those gun socks, but never really looked into them.  Any specific brands that you have used and can recommend?

Price$

Thx,

DK
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've seen those gun socks, but never really looked into them.  Any specific brands that you have used and can recommend?

I got mine from Galati,  I don't recall the price as I've had them for a number of years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cosmoline is your friend

Cosmoline
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]
i called my local gun store, and the guy said that he had some hard rock or something like that for moisture, is it worth $30 bucks?

Shawn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cosmoline is your friend

Cosmoline

Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You can use the silica gel, that is added to cat liter, as a desicant.  Cost is $10 for 10lbs at Target.  I use it a large plastic coffee can with holes drilled in the lid
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You can use the silica gel, that is added to cat liter, as a desicant.  Cost is $10 for 10lbs at target.  I use it a large plastice coffee can with holes drilled in the lid

does it matter where you sit it in the safe, up at the top or down?

shawn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My safe is in my house and the humidity is very low in here because of the new AC. Sometimes it is about 33% humidity in the house. My guns have been in my safe for years and no rust on them. I do clean them and wipe them down with CLP . Find a Temp/ humidity reader then you will know if your ok. IF it is more then 65% then I would think of other ways to store them. OUT. Tuna
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Price$

Thx,

DK

I've bought some from sportmans guide for $4.97.

They only show one length now,    below is a 40"  on an AK and a 52" on an AR.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I had been told (for whatever it is worth) that the fabric in the gun socks tends to absorb and hold moisture next to your rifle.  I used one for a few months to keep from scratching up one of my shotguns in my overcrowded safe but I have since stopped using it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
The stuf I bought at Target is Crystal Cat Litter.  8lb cost $10.  100% Silica Gel.  It comes in a clear plastic jug.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top