Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2007 8:04:31 AM EDT
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/DesertDoc/0-0-00-Underfolder.jpg

A friend brought me his underfolder because the pin, (item#4) in the above diagram didn't look right. He had just purchased the gun and wanted me to check it out. Well the pin was removed and inspected...it was a broken off nail! In addition it apparently works it's way out of it hole with any use.

Question: Just how are these properly pinned? Would a cotter pin work? Are there three #4 pins or just one pin through three places (which is how it seems to work)?

Any suggestions and especially diagrams and pictures as to how to properly secure this section would be very much appreciated. BTW...it was a sloppy home build (hence the nail) that hopefully will clean up nicely with a little TLC.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
OK....did a little googling and found this: How to take apart and Underfolder (amazing what you can find on the internet)

Really poor video but the narration gives a pretty good explanation...where can I find pins or what material could I use in lieu of the original pins to fix this properly? Makes me wonder what else was halfassed on this build???
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]

I'm misssing pins and  the button. Let's hope they're in stock ...

207.176.137.9/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=425&cat=Underfolder+Parts

$4.99 for a pin seems kind of high.
I think drill bits of same size would be cheaper ....checked the catalog ...$0.60./3mm drill.
You can buy any size drill bit in .05mm increments...
Drill bits are available in wire gauge and metric sizes ... buy them from tool outlets ... Home Depot and the likes may not carry them ...
Drill bits are much cheaper than those funky pins, and you get better steel to boot.
I'm checking printed catalog from local outlet ... KBC Tools & Machinery

If you have Dremel, you're good to go

web site:     www.KBCTools.com

ETA     Production Tool Supply

www.pts-tools.com

You may also consider drill blanks or reamer blanks, all solid.
drill blank tolerance: +.0000  -.0003
reamer blank tolerance: +.0002  -.0000

I stated earlier that jobber metric drills come in .05mm increments, this is incorrect, larger diameter drills come in larger increments (.1mm, .5mm)
Blanks are also useful to check small hole sizes.
I'm too redundant, if you have the catalog, you will figure this out better than I.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top