AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:45:22 AM EDT
Is it "Sega"  like the game system?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it "Sega"  like the game system?

I say it "Siiiyga", with a long I sound.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, on 'Shooting Gallery' the other night, they were pronouncing Sako as "sock-o".  New to me, but that was company management.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my Russian friends told me it is pronounced:

Sa-GAH

A very quick first syllabel with the emphasis placed on the
second.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The Russian pronunciation is "s-EYE-guh", per the video posted on the Izhmash web site.   But I call 'em "SAY-guh" like KF said.  The Russians also pronounce Makarov as "mah-CAR-ahv", but I've always heard and said "MAK-uh-rov".  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
say-ga
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Russian pronunciation is "s-EYE-guh", per the video posted on the Izhmash web site.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Syga?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
sigh-guh?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, on 'Shooting Gallery' the other night, they were pronouncing Sako as "sock-o".  New to me, but that was company management.

Doc

"Sock-o" is correct, unless you live near a bunch of hillbillies. Then it's "say-ko".
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Kalishnikova
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey I say say-ko and sa-gah!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Pronounced however you want to pronounce it I guess.. I'm sure you could'nt even find 2 Russian that pronounce it the same.. Just cause they are from Russia don't mean sqaut

Look how many Americans there are that do not pronounce something the same way..

Like McDonalds and Mac Donalds..

Or Tomato and To'maught'o

or the ever classic  Wash and worsh..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pronounced however you want to pronounce it I guess.. I'm sure you could'nt even find 2 Russian that pronounce it the same.. Just cause they are from Russia don't mean sqaut

Look how many Americans there are that do not pronounce something the same way..

Like McDonalds and Mac Donalds..

Or Tomato and To'maught'o

or the ever classic  Wash and worsh..

C'mon man, don't assume that because we (" 'mericans ") aren't uniform with our language dialects, that the rest of the other countries are not.  "Just because they are from Russia don't mean squat'??? What the heck is that supposed to mean???  Of course it means 'sqaut'! Russia has been spekaing Russian for longer than the USA has been around. Russian is a language that depends on you saying things the way they are supposed to otherwise you will be talking garbage. English (at least in the USA) is a very forgiving, moldable language, much more than most I think. Sure all languages have their dialects and nuances between regions, religions and cultures, but don't assume other groups allow for as much leeway as we do with the English language.

Be cool, and a little cultured....say it right:  Saiga = Sigh-gah' accent on the 'a' sound; and for your extra trivia note,  a saiga is a variety of antelope. The Saiga line is named after an animal,  like most Russian commercial guns.

-C
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
i named my dog after my favorite rifle, my saiga .308

i pronounce it sigh-guh.

he actually looks like a real saiga ( the antelope).

www.ultimateungulate.com/Images/Saiga_tatarica/S_tatarica3.html

and here is saiga:
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I call them sigh-guhs.  I guess that makes me cultured.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
With a B
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The Finnish "a" is pronounced as the letter "u" in the words nun and nut and pun.
The Finnish "o" is pronounced as the letter "o" in the words hot and stock and pot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
There is no D in Saiga.

Some of you may get it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top