Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 9:15:26 AM EDT
I recently bought some Wolf 7.62x39 hollow points for my SAR-1.  For the most part they worked but about every fifth shot I would get a jam and notice the tip was hitting and not feeding properly.
Is this a magazine problem or the ammo because the FMJ work fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Its basically a feedramp problem,some AKs will digest HP just fine while others have problems.I stick with FMJ,it always works and performs just as good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to look in there with some HP loaded and see how it tries to feed. If it's a ramp problem you may be able to do a little dremel work to remove any overhang that's catching the tip of the ammo or smooth the ramp itself if it needs it. Or perhaps  the mag isn't sitting right.
I'm lucky so far. For a while, all I could find locally in Wolf was the HP. My SKS and AKM eat it fine. no problems ever. Many shooters avoid it for the reason you have.
Got four cases of new Wolf FMJ here from SG today. Now I can have fun at the range cheap again!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
hi,
  i just bought 2 ak47s recently. one is the new ssr85c-2 by armory usa, the other is a vector underfolder built on an armoryusa receiver. being an ak newbie, i had no clue. i took the ssr to the raange and it did the same thing yours did, about every 4th-5th round would hang with the hp mouth catching on the chamber mouth. this did not happen with the vector, it fired evertime i pulled the trigger. i was shooting the russian battlepack that come in 120 rd, bricks.
  when i broke the rifles down, i saw that the vector actually has a slight feed ramp (or beveling) on the chamber mouth.
   i called armory usa about the problem and talked to jimmy (who is apparently pretty high up the food chain ther).  he was very helpful and nice. he explained that the armory usa weapons were built with new military parts and if switched to non-hp, i probabally would have no problems. he offered to inspect the weapon and see if they could correct the problem, but i really did not want to ship the weapon.
  when i get some fmj, i will see if that takes care of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently bought some Wolf 7.62x39 hollow points for my SAR-1.  For the most part they worked but about every fifth shot I would get a jam and notice the tip was hitting and not feeding properly.
Is this a magazine problem or the ammo because the FMJ work fine.

Try this - use a different magazine.  See if the problem persists.  I had the same problem until i changed the FOLLOWER plate on my mags.  Problem went away and I've not had a single jam since.  The mag sometimes does make a difference.

These are good ones... http://www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=33
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had the same problem with Wolf HP in .223. The Wolf HP bullets seat different and have a different ogive from other HP rounds. Work on the feed ramp, but go a little at a time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i just blew through 100 rounds of wolf HP in a wasr-10 today without one problem
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top