Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:50:17 PM EDT
How do you figure what thread pitch is best to use if your barrel is not already threaded?  I see a lot of brakes and a lot of thread pitch's to use so I am slightly confused.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
1/2x28 is standard for 22 and 5.56

5/8x24 is for .30 cal's

there are a bunch of oddities and other variations but those two are the most common

if you have a different caliber, list it and we can let you know
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Well since you're posting this in the AK section the 7.62 AKs typically use 1x14mm LH threads for barrels .550" and thicker. Under that you can do 1/2x28 RH just make sure the device is bored for a 30 cal. Some devices like the AK 74 style have even larger 28mm (diameter) threads attached right to the FSB.

What rifle do you have?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle is a Hungarian Sa85M.  I have seen on YouTube in some threading videos that people cut a shroud off he barrel on I think Saigs.  Does my file need this done?  Please also verify the thread dims too. Thx.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top