Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
I have access to a Kilm that my friend owens that he used for glass and clay that can get up to 2000 degrees with no problems. How would I go about heat treating an entire reciever in this oven for hardening?
How long at what temp and when to quench?
Is spot heat treating just overall better with a MAPP torch?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is when you cool it off, you need to have it real uniform and from what i have heard its a bitch. takes some special equipment and unless you want a seriously warped reciever, stick to the spot treating.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I will austemper like the Soviets from here on out. I found a heat treat facility that quenches in a molten salt bath . Oil quench warped mine when I attempted that. See my "HEAT TREAT + latest build" thread for more info.

The mapp gas method worked for 3 of my builds, and with a few hundred rounds through each they appear to be fine. I screwed one up and started looking into other methods. After reading awhile I decided I wanted to do it like the reds.

If you can find someone in TX that austempers at a reasonable price I would do that. I did a few at a time so it was more cost effective. You could get several people to go in on a batch together if needed. perhaps put a thread about it in the Hometown forum once you have found a place to do it? I managed to get it scheduled so I could wait for it to be done before leaving.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top