Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
I have access to a Kilm that my friend owens that he used for glass and clay that can get up to 2000 degrees with no problems. How would I go about heat treating an entire reciever in this oven for hardening?
How long at what temp and when to quench?
Is spot heat treating just overall better with a MAPP torch?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is when you cool it off, you need to have it real uniform and from what i have heard its a bitch. takes some special equipment and unless you want a seriously warped reciever, stick to the spot treating.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I will austemper like the Soviets from here on out. I found a heat treat facility that quenches in a molten salt bath . Oil quench warped mine when I attempted that. See my "HEAT TREAT + latest build" thread for more info.

The mapp gas method worked for 3 of my builds, and with a few hundred rounds through each they appear to be fine. I screwed one up and started looking into other methods. After reading awhile I decided I wanted to do it like the reds.

If you can find someone in TX that austempers at a reasonable price I would do that. I did a few at a time so it was more cost effective. You could get several people to go in on a batch together if needed. perhaps put a thread about it in the Hometown forum once you have found a place to do it? I managed to get it scheduled so I could wait for it to be done before leaving.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top