Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 3:24:44 AM EDT
Well my year-old Arsenal SA M-7S (post-ban fixed stock and pinned comp) is proving itself the better shooter against my recently acquired SAS M-7 (no-ban underfolder with threaded muzzle nut). (See earlier thread here). I accomplished a major crash-n-burn with the SAS in a recent match. A few days later I did some side-by-side comparison during which, shooting the same target arrays at about the same speeds with both guns, the frequency of misses with the SAS was nearly 3 times that of the SA. I set up the test such that I'm pretty confident other factors were cancelled out.

Part of the issue is the less natural (for me) mount on the SAS caused by the different position of the butt end relative the rest of the gun. I really have to haunch to get a stable shoulder mount on the SAS and also reach the sight line, whereas the SA more naturally locks in to the shoulder with the head erect.

Another obvious effect though is from lack of the comp on the SAS, which creates a lot more work getting back on target (and hence, the more frequent misses on follow-up shots). So I'm considering putting some kind of comp on those threads and would like any advice on good designs. Here's the one from K-Var that appears to be equivalent to the one that's pinned on the SA.

possible comp choice

They're currently out of stock but expect more soon, so I might see if that'll help. Any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed though, re. the comp or any other aspects of the situation.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I too found the original compensator on my slr-101 to be quite effective.  I later shortened the barrel and installed an amd-65 brake and it is also very helpful in keeping on target for doubles.  Maybe not as good as the original, or it could be the shorter barrel.  I don't know about the one from kvar, but it resembles the original bulgarian, kinda.  

It's been said that the ak-74 type brake is the best for muzzle control,  I've never really used one.  If you want to spend some $$ and go with science, try this.    Ops-Inc
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks pmbiker. That Ops-Inc looks pretty cool, but as you say substantial bucks.

Also thanks RS39. I've seen the globaltrades name around a lot, so might check on what they have.

Nobody else have any advice to offer????

ETA: Just looked and found that globaltrades has several comps, including a 74 style but configured for the 47, and also some more innovative US-made types. Anybody experienced with any of these?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top