Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2018 11:30:04 AM EDT
Trying to figure out how to ID which one's were built well and work.  SN# prefix or something else.

Also, has anyone else heard that the Golani's were built using South African R4 parts?

Add any additional info you have about the Golani's also if you want.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Always been told to look for a gln prefix (caspian receiver).  Also if stamped with a f by the magwell it was updated by century
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, they will all work. Worst case, you will need to have a smith open up the gas port a bit. I'm sure adco or someone like that would do it for a reasonable charge.

I had to do that with mine. Cost me under a hundo if I recall. Now its perfect in every way.

V
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
a simple google search had over 4000 results and I only found one very old post complimenting the Galoni.

so, let's not get too detailed as pretty much everything has been covered more than once.

if by work you mean bolts ground on to set the headspace because the locking lugs were machined wrong- ok.
or, ejector lug welded on so the empty shell cases drop back inside the rifle because of bad machining-sure.
or the worn out Guat. parts kits that were used- maybe(I mean who doesn't need a stock that flops around like last weeks tuna?).
etc, etc, etc.

I have yet to see any proof that Caspian made the Galoni recs.-zero.
and ser. # helps zero.

but, if they did make these they must have let the new guy do them.
usually lot's of deep swirl marks in the surface areas.

I've seen more than a few where the barrel threads in the trunnion are off centerline/ crooked.
you could turn the gas block literally sideways and the sights would not line up.
also make it a PITA to eject/cycle as the chamber was also out of alignment.

and as a side note- if you have to go bigger than .070 on the gas port something is either leaking gas(small barrel journal or a cracked gas block due to journal being too big) or you have way too much drag somewhere.

after all these years since production ceased these nightmares keep popping up.

my advise- unless you get to test fire it and have a smith check it over esp. the head pace- don't buy one.
safe shooting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what you want to do with it, the safe choice would be to buy a new IWI Galil ACE. Factory new rifle made by people that actually understand how to make guns, with a factory warranty, that takes STANAG mags and has built in picatinny rails.

It's a very nicely made AK that's had some serious thought put into how to lighten the rifle up w/o compromising the robustness. And if you later decide you really want an old school Galil the ACE makes a decent start for a conversion.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a simple google search had over 4000 results and I only found one very old post complimenting the Galoni.
View Quote

You found my post!
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on what you want to do with it, the safe choice would be to buy a new IWI Galil ACE. Factory new rifle made by people that actually understand how to make guns, with a factory warranty, that takes STANAG mags and has built in picatinny rails.

It's a very nicely made AK that's had some serious thought put into how to lighten the rifle up w/o compromising the robustness. And if you later decide you really want an old school Galil the ACE makes a decent start for a conversion.

AJ
View Quote
The ONE gun I really regret buying was a Golani. Garbage garbage garbage. It's entirely possible that "serviceable" ones were made but my experience with the Golani literally had me swearing off anything that Century sold, even if they never turned a wrench on 'em.

Save your pennies and just buy an ACE, if you have the HebrewBlaster itch.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top