Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 7:46:40 PM EDT
. . . is a PITA!  The rear ones are easy.  I used an angle grinder to knock the tops off of the old rivets so I can get the sheet metal off.  How in the world do you get the rivets out?  There is not enough space between the barrel and trunion to slip out the rivet bases.  God, I wish I had a barrel press . . .

Anyone have an easy way to do this?

Rich

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish you did too. It's sooooooooo easy with a press it would make you sick.  Without one, I don't know what to tell you.  Some people drill out what they can, then use a dental pick to try to get out the remains of the rivets.  I press out the barrel pin, then press out the barrel just enough to get the rivet bases out then press the barrel back on.  I don't press it completely out of the trunion, so I don't have to re-align the trunion and barrel.  Works great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
******SIGH*********

Don't you have to reheadspace it when you are done?  Or does the old barrel pin basically set the headspace?

I guess I may have to WECSOG a press.

Rich
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
On a second note, how hard is it to build the blocks needed to press out the barrel?  I mean, what does the press actually 'press' against?

It can't just sit on the 'points'of the trunion.  Any pics of your setup?

Rich
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The trunnion is supported at the lower magazine catch and on two points on the top of the trunnion.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=54478
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Darn it guys!  

I guess I'm going to have to go against my normal nature - I'm going to break down and do this right.  Anyone have contact info for ShortFal?

Campy,  do you think that it is possible to mill that trunion support with a drill press with an X-Y vise?  I've never done anything like that - it looks fun!

Or, do you guys think that I would be better suited with a standard press?  If so, what kind of tonnage?  I like to have as many general purpose tools as possible . . .

Rich
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The other way is to grind the rivits flush with the trunnions, clamp it together so the mag and cover fit,drill holes through the receiver in about the right places and weld through washers.
If you want screws,tap it to the right depth and put them in.

Saves about a week of work but you don't get to buy a bunch of cool tools!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I drilled out what I could of the rivets with out damaging the barrel or trunnion. Then I sharpend a 3/32 pin punch into a chisel point and chopped up the remains of the rivet head stuck between the barrel and trunnion. A magnatized scribe removed the rivet pieces!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top