Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:41:37 AM EDT
Just bought  a very used East German AK kit, and lo and behold the
slant brake is rusted to the barrel. I shot it with WD-40 and put the
brake in a vice with cardboard to protect the nut, no luck. Do you guys
think heating this thing up with a torch would help it? Any tricks
out there (heating/cooling, special oil, ACME rust eater etc. : )
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
A big +1 for kroil. Soak it for a few days with kroil then squeeze vise grips on it and turn it. If that doesnt do it, heat the fucker real hot and turn it off. Remember they are reverse threads too. Slant brakes are a cheap part, dont worry about marring it or ruining it if it wont come off.  Hye es? McM
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The best thing to do would be to sell it to me. You shouldn't lower yourself to that level.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget to push the detent pin in also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get this East German kit at?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When you just need supreme oil wickability to loosen, Kroil. When you need to be able to turn the hull bolts on the Andrea Doria by hand, PB Blaster is Most Numero Uno.

That's EXACTLY the kind of tip I am looking for. Going out to find me some of this exotic elixir known as "Kroil"....although I seem to recall that was the name of Captain Kirk's arch nemesis on Star Trek episode 52 (the one where Kirk nailed the purple chick : ) I especially like the Andrea Doria reference !!!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't forget to push the detent pin in also.

I understand why you said that, I once saw a guy in my hood banging away for an hour at a brake drum on his Caravan, trying to loosen it. I walked over and released the parking brake for him...his wife  just hung her head in shame : )
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The best thing to do would be to sell it to me. You shouldn't lower yourself to that level. hr

I would do that, indeed, but I have big plans for both of these kits ( I bought two for $245 here local ). I am going to do a screw build (gold plated screws) and have the metal parts chromed at Guiterez's chrome shop on fifth street. I am also taking off the crutch style folding stock, putting plastic side folders, bipods, and scopes on both, not to mention all the useless tactical paraphernalia I can find on the internet (screwed, bolted, or welded to the receiver cover or front grips).... I hope to have laser beams on them too : ) I wonder if they make plastic stocks with built in MP3 players?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The best thing to do would be to sell it to me. You shouldn't lower yourself to that level.

I would do that, indeed, but I have big plans for both of these kits ( I bought two for $245 here local ). I am going to do a screw build (gold plated screws) and have the metal parts chromed at Guiterez's chrome shop on fifth street. I am also taking off the crutch style folding stock, putting plastic side folders, bipods, and scopes on both, not to mention all the useless tactical paraphernalia I can find on the internet (screwed, bolted, or welded to the receiver cover or front grips).... I hope to have laser beams on them too : ) I wonder if they make plastic stocks with built in MP3 players?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope to have laser beams on them too : )

I have some sharks with 'freakin laser beams.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]

I have some sharks with 'freakin laser beams.hr

Hee Hee... : ) Haven't decided ,,, lasers, phasers, or tasers.... might even
graft on a boxing gloves on an expanding coat rack ala cartoon style !!!
BOING !!!! Or should I say BLING BLOING !!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top