Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/4/2006 9:28:05 AM EDT
Guys.  I'm trying to remove the front hand guard from the gas tube on a MAK 90....doesn't want to budge.     Do you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
put it in the freezer for a while
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Clamp the flats on the tube in a vise and use a leather glove to grab the wood part. Be especially careful to twist in line with the center of the tube.

If that doesn't work, wrap about 5 layers of cloth around it and use a large pipe wrench...you risk breaking it, but replacements aren't that hard to get...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Twist it back and forth, it'll budge eventually. Remember, do NOT apply pressure to the wood with your fingers. Grasp the wood in the palm of your hand and hold it that way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
put the gas tube in a vice with the underside facing you,  then turn the wood counter clockwise- it will spin right off- installation is in reverse.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a fool proof method, (or was for me). Go and get a strap wrench, its a wrench for turning pipes that is basicly a circular rubber strap with length adjustment attatched to a handle. The rubber strap goes around the hand guard, and as its rubber will not scratch or crush the wood. Next get a screw driver (perferably with a square shaft( and put the shaft in the slot on the gas tube end and turn. Using these two tools removal is a snap.

http://www.plumbingworld.com/images/rubber_strap_wrenches.jpg
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Clamp the flats on the tube in a vise and use a leather glove to grab the wood part. Be especially careful to twist in line with the center of the tube.

If that doesn't work, wrap about 5 layers of cloth around it and use a large pipe wrench...you risk breaking it, but replacements aren't that hard to get...

and if you don't have a vise a cresent wrench will work with a leather glove.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks......I got it.  You guys are great.  Now for a new set of furniture.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top