Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 9:30:27 PM EDT
Well just picked up my SAR 1 today. I like it but there are some things I don't and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. First, the trigger pull has to be the worst I have ever felt and the sights suck big time. Any suggestions? Solutions? Otherwise, very cool rifle got it for $350 with a 40 rounder. Anything else I need to know? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
SARs have virtually the same irons as other AKs come with stock. Mojo and Krebs offer aperture rear sights, and commie optics and a nice bargain (good glass and real military tough for modest cash).
Century puts cheap US parts count triggers in the SARs, and mine have all varied. You can learn the shepards hook and try to polish some of the contact surfaces, and just chuck it and get a trigger set from Red Star Arms. There are cheaper ways to a decent trigger, but only RSA makes an outstanding AK trigger in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SARs have virtually the same irons as other AKs come with stock. Mojo and Krebs offer aperture rear sights, and commie optics and a nice bargain (good glass and real military tough for modest cash).
Century puts cheap US parts count triggers in the SARs, and mine have all varied. You can learn the shepards hook and try to polish some of the contact surfaces, and just chuck it and get a trigger set from Red Star Arms. There are cheaper ways to a decent trigger, but only RSA makes an outstanding AK trigger in my experience.

Thanks very much for the advice. Do you know which 6 parts Century puts in the SAR 1 to make it compliant? If I make changes, I want to make sure I'm still compliant.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
For the sights just get the sight tool from tapco.com. It's fairly easy to adjust I just got mine straight. Also you can get red dot sights that mount on to that side rail. I have a Kobra on mine. It takes a little patience to get it sighted in but it's cheap and it seemed to do quite well at 50yds.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, pistol grip. A sixth US part would be needed if it had a muzzle attachment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well just picked up my SAR 1 today. I like it but there are some things I don't and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. First, the trigger pull has to be the worst I have ever felt and the sights suck big time.

You have an AK, not an AR. I think the crudeness of the weapon is part of its "charm". As a matter of fact, I don't care about the trigger pull. I ground the contact surfaces slightly to get rid of the gritty feel as detailed on linx310's webpages, but even that is not really useful. Keep in mind that the weapon will kill you all the same, ugly trigger pull an all. As a matter of fact, I don't notice any trigger pull when I'm bump-firing a few rounds.

The AK is more of a plinking gun. I've got a RRA AR-15 with their two-stage match trigger set up to varmint on the side.

If you're really intent on a better trigger, look at Red Star Arms. They have a nice two-stage trigger which you can get for just under $100.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top