Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:12:51 AM EDT
I am new to AK's, and I want to build a Yugo M70 underfolder from a parts kit, or rather, have one built for me.  I am leaning very heavily towards getting Blackwell Industries to build one up on an RPK receiver, but I have some questions:

1) The yugo underfolder parts kit is listed at $110 IIRC in the Shotgun News from Centerfire Systems.  Is this a reputable place to acquire such a kit, or should I opt for a different dealer?  I understand that the yugo barrels are not chrome lined, which is fine, but I would like to get a decent bore.  Does anyone have experience with these particular kits?

2) Do I still have to acquire 7 U.S. parts for the build?  eg, does the kit from centerfire have 7 u.s. parts already, or will I have to acquire them on my own?  If so, which are the cheapest to get?  (If the receiver is coming from the guys at Blackwell, does that mean I only need 6?)

3) I read in an old gunrag that Yugo AK's are among the more accurate AK's.  An operator was able to achieve sub-2" groups at 100 yds.  Can I expect this kind of accuracy from a Blackwell M70 build?

4) In the case of an underfolder, it would seem from pictures that I would have to remove a 30 round magazine in order to get the stock retracted/collapsed.  Is this true, or can it be done with the mag in place?

5) Are all AK magazines pretty much the same?  Can I expect the legendary AK reliability out of the cheap Romanian mags?  Which ones are the best?

I guess that's all the questions I have right now.  If I think of more, I will post them.  Thanks in advance for the input!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
centerfire systems is a good place and i've enjoyed them. the yugo underfolders have a sketchy background and so thats why they are going cheap. they dont have a chrome bore and a lot of the barrels were used and abused. if you are looking for an underfolder and you're not key on having it be exactly right, i would suggest the yugo underfolder+romy barrel kit that centerfire has going. chrome barrels are a good idea in my book. a lot of people are mad at centerfire for not making it real clear that the yugos were in crap condition originally.

you only need 6 us made parts if you have a muzzle device, so you'll need 6. reciever counts as one so you need 5 more. a g2 fcg is a good bet. midwestarmory has them the cheapest i've seen anywhere right now, that is 3 parts.

i've never had any trouble with any imported mags, they all work wonderful for me. ak surplus mags overall have a good namesake that keeps with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
So we're talking a U.S. made receiver, slant brake, fcg, maybe a gas piston, and a pistol grip?  that's seven, no?

For that G2 fcg, would I need single or double hooks? (what's that mean anyway?)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Whether you need a single hook or double hook depends on what receiver you get, some are set up for single, some for double, so when you order your receiver find out which one to use.  The single hook has a single hook, the double has 2, hard to describe but once you see them you will know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Well see that's the thing -- I am sending it over to Blackwell Industries as soon as I get everything together.  They say they use an RPK style receiver, which if I have read correctly is supplied to them by Greenlight.  So, which fcg do I order to send to Blackwell?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not ask Blackwell which fcg the receiver is made for? Otherwise get the single hook which will work with any receiver.

BTW If you get the Romy/Yugo combo you don't need a RPK receiver.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want a U/F 100% you might look at polish too they are out there right now
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top