Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 5:38:24 PM EDT
After buying all the tools, videos, jigs, parts, reading forums, making mistakes and having to start over more than once I have almost completed my first build. I am having trouble getting the mag to fit correctly. It goes almost all the way in, but has to be forced to make it click. It is not the catch, and I am afraid to file anything else down with dremel. The bolt carrier still needs a little work, but cycles most of the time. When I do get the mag in I can not get the bolt to cycle at all even w/o ammo. The only thing I can think is it may have something to do with the ejector?  The fire control group works great. I can post more pic's I just don't know what I can show that would help.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to file my ejector a bit to make it all work.  Now all works well.  But make SURE that's the problem before filing!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I fixed it some what, if you look at the top picture you can see that one of the rails has a second lower rail. From what I can tell this supported the mag some how. I checked on my other guns, and it was on none of them, so i whacked it off. The mag fits right now, but I am still having a feed problem when charging. It keeps on hanging around the ejector (even though I ground it down some), but only when it is feeding from the mag. The only thing I can think of is it is binding somewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated, I am getting really frustrated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Look a rifle that works.  Measure the distance from the receiver to the ejector.  How does this compare with the rifle that doesn't work?

SRM
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I just measured and they are the same. The only thing that is a little different on the build vs the ones I have purchased is the distance between the top and bottom rail is a little wider. I aligned the rails to the holes on the flats, and everything else matched up. I will try taking a little more off of the ejector tomorrow and see if that helps. I will also try the bolt and charging handle in a known working gun I have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
start other places.. you cant add metal back to the ejector!

is the mag going in too deep contacting the bolt?  did you set your own magwell fit?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a standard Tapco pre cut flat with the mag well already cut. The issue has got to be between the mag and the bolt as they both work individually w/o the other installed. I just do not know how to resolve it?

edit: Let me correct my self it DOES cycle with the mag in, just NOT when ammo I try with ammo it hangs with a bullet 1/2 pushed out of the mag.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
your rail is to low and your bolt is binding on it
that and the added force needed to push the bullet into the rifle is more then your recoil spring can overcome

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
file 1/32 or so off the carrier and your probs will be fixed
file where the red line is on both sides of the carrier

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Tapco flats have the trigger guard holes too far forward and that's what will cause mag fit problems.  It's even worse when you use the flat with all of the front trunnion holes aready in them.  

There are flats out there that have the holes in the right location Correct Flats
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys I will try the suggestions tomorrow.

Socandyman do you think this will this ruin this bolt if I have to start over on another flat?

I have a polish flat for an underfolder kit that i ordered from AK builder when I ordered my jig.

I tried the Romy kit first with the Tapco because I heard it was the easiest and I knew I was probally going to make some mistakes long the way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
na it wont ruin anythang

the distance between the hole in the carrier and the slots in the carrier arnt always the same even 2 of the same rifle
and the rommys seem to be alittle off to begin with

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
na it wont ruin anythang

the distance between the hole in the carrier and the slots in the carrier arnt always the same even 2 of the same rifle
and the rommys seem to be alittle off to begin with

Thanks socandyman, I appreciate your input!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top