Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 5:29:08 PM EDT

A few questions..

Rivets,   who has the best set of them?    I am bidding on a hand rivet sqeezer on E-bay figured it is the best way to go but also have access to the Bolt Cutter type of sqeezer.  

Recievers,   Ohio Ord,  or Global?   which one is the best choice?

Triggers,    it is my understanding that these kits come with full auto trigger groups.  Is this true and who has the best deal on the compliance kits?

Underfolder,  I gotta have one.   Do you build these on normal rec's?  or is there a special reciever for underfolders?

Any help could be cool,   I have been toying with the idea for a while now,  thats how I ended up with a WASR10 low cap,  and SAR3,  If you look on the Romy thread you can see my post where I converted the WASR.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<SNIP>  I am bidding on a hand rivet sqeezer on E-bay figured it is the best way to go but also have access to the Bolt Cutter type of sqeezer. <SNIP>
Regular rivet sqeezers aren't made to do the heavy indutrial rivets on an AK. If they did people wouldn't have to be making their own. What are you bidding on?

Do a search for your other questions, there is a lot of good info in the archives.

Welcome to the DarkSide
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A martin Hand Sqeezer,  Just looked and someone is 3 bucks from outbidding me.  If that happens will just go with the Bolt cutters,  The cummins tool truck is in town tommorrow with them for 12 bucks a set.  can buy 3 sets and chop away.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That one is nice.
I can't remember wether or not it fits down the barrel hole in the trunnion or not. But i do remember that a guy over on Gunco.net who is an Aircraft Mech uses that.

You get what you pay for $$$$$
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
\ wait and see.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A few questions..

1) Rivets,   who has the best set of them?

2) Recievers,   Ohio Ord,  or Global?   which one is the best choice?

3) Triggers,    it is my understanding that these kits come with full auto trigger groups.  Is this true and who has the best deal on the compliance kits?

4) Underfolder,  I gotta have one.   Do you build these on normal rec's?  or is there a special reciever for underfolders?

1) You can get good rivets out of the EE here, or from Global Trades.  Although TAPCO has recently changed to decent rivets from the old Thumbtack headed ones, but I'd be sure you specify the new rivets if you order from them.  I ordered 2 sets to check them out recently and got one new style and one old style (the old style long rivets are trash)

2) This one is kind of like who's religion is better, but IMO the Global receiver is the better choice.  Ohio has their selector hole too low, you have to modify the tab on your selector arm to get it to work and I think that sucks... so Global is and has been my choice.

3) Yes and No, depends on the kit you order, who you got it from etc.  It may have a full auto trigger group with it, but you can still use the parts needed for a semi-auto build, however you likely need a US trigger group for 922 compliance.  Tapco has a great FCG, although dpharms.com or midwestarmory.com are cheaper than TAPCO on that item.  dpharms also has the Century US compliance pack for arouund $38 which is a US pistol grip, gas piston, and Century FCG...  It's really a pretty good deal.  The Century disconnecter has a tail on it that needs to ground off with a dremel or bench grinder to avoid trigger slap, but not a big deal it's a 5 minute fix.

4) The underfolder stock builds onto a normal receiver but you have to make extra holes for it.  Build a fixed stock first and tackle putting an underfolder on a later build.  However don't build a fixed stock to convert as the rivet holes are not in the same place for a fixed stock rear trunnion and an underfolder trunnion.  ** Also you can get a Rommie sidefolder stock that while not an underfolder, does fold to the selector arm side of the weapon and simply screws to the tang on the normal trunnion.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for answering those questions.  How much does the Safety selector have to be modified?  I ask because I found recievers in stock in Ft. Worth but they are Ohio Ord Works.   I know the whole trigger slap fix hence my WASR was downright painful to shoot,  so will look into that.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
That was solid advice from 2FALable.  Also glad to see you didnt fall for the Romy/Yugo combo thing.

In answer to your question:
The OOW selector hole is too low and as a result the selector cam (tab) that interlocks with the trigger assembly will also be too low.  That means the tab will hit on the back of the trigger assembly instead of sliding on top of it.  You wont be able to put the safety on unless you grind off some of the tab (the same amount that the hole is low).

My first build was on an OOW (and it will be my last on an OOW).  Someday I will probably rebuild it on a GT or Ewbanks.  That low selector hole thing (selector gaps when full up) just gets more annoying with time.  

Oh, and OOWs are only spot heat treated.  That is good, because they dont have warping problems.  They go together nicely.  It is bad because they dont sandblast/parkerize/paint evenly.  Your choice of evils.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
So I guess you're talking about Military Gun Supply?  Yes, they carry the OOW receivers but they also charge you more for them in the store than on their webpage.  Honestly if you're going to build 10 kits, it would be worth it to call Global Trades in Houston, make sure they have 10 7.62 receivers in stock and then make a day trip of it.  At $20 a receiver cheaper thats $200 bucks, more than makes up for the gas cost.

Or you could order the Ewbanks receivers from dpharms.  I have not used one of these, where I have used both OOW and GT.  However those who have used them didn't seem to have many complaints.  They are manufactured for Joeken.  I would not order directly from Joe as he seems to have a hard time actually shipping stuff to people, but Scott @ dph is a stand up guy and does carry the Joeken recevier.  Those are $50 a pop, so if you could find an FFL that would transfer some to you for $15 or so... sometimes you can even get them to only charge you once for two or three receivers, it's still cheaper.

But if you are really just in a hurry to build one, I'd say go ahead and get an OOW, but then make arrangements to get a GT or Ewbanks for your second build.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
2 miles from it.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Centerfire has Romanian underfolders with the forward grip made for the folder. I think it's $110 for everything.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top