Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:17:05 PM EDT
Well, I was almost done making my boltcutter rivet smasher anf my brand new dremel starts smoking and cuts off. I wasn't being hard on it or applying pressure at all. Anyone have a similar experience? I wonder it Dremel will replace it if I send it in. Damnit!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You may have luck replacing the carbon brushes, held in by screw caps on the side of the dremel tool.  You can take them out, take the old ones to any hardware store and they should have replacements
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
How old is it? If it's fairly new, take it back and if that doesn't work, buy a new one (same model) and return the old one on the new one's receipt and say it just broke soon after buying it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's less than five years old just call them, tell them that it quit and they'll tell you to send it back.  I sent one in last month and had it back in a week; only cost me shipping and they even included a free bit and put another collet and collar on it.  Excellent customer service!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I bought it on 12/30. I took it back to Lowe's about 30 minutes ago and they let me get a new one.
Are you guys really careful with yous or did I get a bad one? They just don't seem like they like metal that much. I was using a cutoff wheel on some boltcutters letting the weight of the tool do the work and after running it for about 6-7 minutes I smell this burnt smell and the motor was smoking!
Anyways, I got an angle grinder and some cutting wheels just in case. The only thing I need now is the 12 ton press and my parts kit from Cope's!!! Oh...and to finish my boltcutters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never pampered mine, and it has been going strong for years.  When using it, just be sure that you are not putting enough pressure on it to slow down the wheel.  Just keep the strain on the motor down, and you should be okay, barring a defective part.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
i had one that took a crap on me,.. it was one of the variable speed ones with like 10 diffrent settings,...i chucked it in the corner and left it there.

i have replaced it with a simpler version with the low/hi speed selector,...seems much more rugged and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
BUT then again I dont think they are designed to cut 1/4 " harden steel..
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BUT then again I dont think they are designed to cut 1/4 " harden steel..

Exactly, you're much better off making a pair of rivet squeezer with a bench or an angle grinder.  I would imagine that it would take a long ass time to do it with a dremel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
goto hf an buy a angle grinder they go on sale for like 15 bucks all the time

you shouldnt have any prob taking it back but its no wonder it broke its not made to take that abuse
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Long ass time is right! I did get the angle grinder so I'll finish up with that today. It probably took about 45 minutes to get the U-shapes get out of the boltcutters. It went by fast since I used an Ipod and Bose noise canceling headphones for ear protection. Come to think of it, maybe early Metallica made me push the Dremel a little beyond it's limits. I might have to switch to Michael Bolton or something while using it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been using the same Dremel for almost 30 years. It looks nothing like the new modles but it stile gets the job done. I see a lot of people are useing angle grinders to make the rivit smashers. When I made mine I used a metal chop saw. It only took me about 10 min.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
"I might have to switch to Michael Bolton or something while using it!"

That's just not right.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Long ass time is right! I did get the angle grinder so I'll finish up with that today. It probably took about 45 minutes to get the U-shapes get out of the boltcutters. It went by fast since I used an Ipod and Bose noise canceling headphones for ear protection. Come to think of it, maybe early Metallica made me push the Dremel a little beyond it's limits. I might have to switch to Michael Bolton or something while using it!

I think listening to Michael Bolton may instill more agression in you for listening to such crap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Dremel has some kickass CS at least last I heard they did. Their repair shop is about a mile from where I'm sitting right now, or it used to be, I think it still is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I have gone through around 5/6 dremels over the past 3 years and each time the metal filings would short out the electronic variable speed switch. The dremel would all of sudden start going at top speed(when in a middle speed position). Each time I returned it and got another one, but I finally got sick of that, so I went and got one of those Black and Decker rotary tools with the manual speed control. That one lasted around 9 months with some very heavy use, and finally I overheated it cutting through some 1/4 inch steel bar. I replaced it with the same model, and that now has over 5 months of heavy use. Neither B&D tool has had anywhere near the problems that the dremels have had, FWIW
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy an air compressor and get some air tools.  I use a die grinder with a 3 inch abrasive wheel and it works like a charm.  Rips right through anything.  Be careful because it could cause some damage if you are not careful.  20,000 RPM's of hell.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top