Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 8:31:33 PM EDT
Ive been away from AKs for a while. I thought that the SAR-1s were no longer available due to legal issues and the WASR-10 was its replacement, but was only available in a single stack, 10 rd config. Now I see hi cap WASRs?? So whats the difference in a SAR and a hi cap WASR?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Since 2004 all Romanian AK rifles imported use single stack 10rd mags and are converted by the importer Century Arms to use hi cap mags. These rifles don't have dimples pressed in the sides of the receiver to center the mag like the SAR rifles. They have L shaped steel spacers spot welded to the inside of the receiver to center the narrower 10rd mag. The spacers are milled when the mag opening in the receiver is milled out wider so the wider hi cap mags will fit into the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that the only difference?  Are the rails, carrier, bolt, and feed ramp area all the same?

I am thinking about buying a lowcap wasr and opening it myself like in the tacked thread here and if the dimples are the only difference it sounds like a new project is underway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
was also wondering this.

is the Sar1 more reliable/accurate?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
All the Romanian 7.62x39mm rifles models WUM-1,Romak-1,WASR,Romak-991,WASR-10,and SAR-1 have all interchangeable parts except the mags of the low cap models Romak-991 and WASR-10.
The 5.45x39mm rifles are AK-74 rifles with a AKM front sight base. The 5.56x45mm rifles are the same as the 5.45x39mm rifles except are modified for the 5.56x45mm cartridge.
As you can see the spacers spot welded inside each side of the receiver(red arrow) take the place of the dimples in the receiver.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is that the only difference?  Are the rails, carrier, bolt, and feed ramp area all the same?

I am thinking about buying a lowcap wasr and opening it myself like in the tacked thread here and if the dimples are the only difference it sounds like a new project is underway.

Be careful, early WASR-10's (low-cap) had a smaller front trunnion magazine well and is not really practical to modify to a hi-cap, I'm not saying it can't be done, just not practical..

Just make sure you get a later version which have the normal AKM front trunnion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
was also wondering this.

is the Sar1 more reliable/accurate?

I have one of each and they are pretty much the same. I had to open up the mag well further on my hicap "post ban" WASR10, I can get everything except bulgy waffle mags to work in it. Not really a big deal since I prefer the steel mags anyways.
The sar1 magwell was perfect out of the box.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

I highly doubt that there was any legal reason for Century no longer carrying SAR1's. Most likely the Romanians raised the price on them and Century didn't want to pay.  

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top