Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT
I was practicing clearing a Galil when I noticed that everytime I try to eject a cartridge,  my hand would be in the path of the cartridge being ejected, it would fly into the knuckle of my index finger.

Not only is it annoying, it hurts.  And every once a while the cartridge would bounce back into the action.  I tried the same thing with snap caps and actual cartridges with same result.

Is this a known issue with Galils, or am I doing something wrong?

The Galil in question is in .223.

The rifle ejects normally otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I was using my right hand, I wasn't aware that you're suppose to use your left.

I almost always use my right hand to charge a weapon unless I'm using either a shotgun, handgun, or certain long guns that has the charging handle on the left side (i.e. FAL).  

I guess I can make an exception for the Galil.

I did try using my left hand but the problem didn't completely go away, it just didn't do it as much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried that, feels kinda awkard but I guess with practice it'll get better.  the cartridge still hits the back of my hand but it doesn't hurt like it does with my knuckle.

Are all Galil like this or is it just mine?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tried that, feels kinda awkard but I guess with practice it'll get better.  the cartridge still hits the back of my hand but it doesn't hurt like it does with my knuckle.

Are all Galil like this or is it just mine?

I'm no expert, but my Galil AR with 16" barrel ejects the shells directly at 3 o'clock and always hitting the bolt cocking handle and slightly dinging the brass.

I also use my left hand when practicing clearing the weapon but the shells don't usually hit my hand because I just pull back on the upper portion (knob) of the cocking handle.

If it still bothers you you could try using shooting or mechanics gloves.

I had my Galil since '89 and fired it thousands of rounds without a single FTF, the only part I added was a Buffer Tech Galil/ AK/ Valmet recoil buffer.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top