Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 9:00:10 PM EDT
I talked to my usual dealer today about buying a receiver from Global. He is not interested in doing receiver transfers however. Does anyone know of a dealer in the Joplin, MO area who would be interested in ordering me a receiver. I'm kind of leary about asking a dealer I haven't used before about anything related to the "evil assault weapons". Some people get really weird when you mention AK's.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try this webiste...

FFL Holders
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask Global if they have anyone already on file in your area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the FFL holder link, I sent off half a dozen requests to dealers close by.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not get a flat and bend it yourself?
No FFL.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not get a flat and bend it yourself?
No FFL.

because the investment in tooling, if you're only building a few AK's, is far greater than many people feel it necessary to make.

sure there's tons of plus sides and looking back i probably would have done it if i were only planning 2-3 builds (actually i was, but the bug bit and bit HARD).  there's always resale value, especially with plinker's jigs.  used ones go for the same as new ones all the time because there's no 4-month wait for it.

but yeah.  some people just don't feel the need/desire to make the tooling investment. and it's a big one, so i can definitely understand that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
To bend or not to bend ...that is the question. I've considered it. I'm a CNC programmer/setup guy currently, and have been a machinist since 1989 (damn I feel old saying that!)he We could make it profitably, higher quality, and cheaper than the competition. But I think he is a little leary of making gun items. It's very conservative here in the Midwest. After hours I still may make myself a bending jig. I've got  555th's die plans as well as a functional WASR-10 to measure if I need to. I can see several ways to improve on what's out there i.e. one piece male die and top folding mechanism built into the female die. Anyway for my first build I'm going with a "store bought" receiver. As the wise man above (ArmedFerret) stated, it's not feasible for me to invest the time and money for tooling for just a few builds. But that may changehanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Tooling might not be as expensive as you think.  I've got about $30 bucks in my bending jig and it works fine.  I bought a 12in. piece of 1.25 x1.25 bar stock and 5 ft. of 1.25 x .25 cold rolled flat bar.  Used old angle iron for the female side.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top