Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:48 PM EDT
I recently went to the range with My AK and after 300 or so rounds, my top cover had popped off about 5 times. I do have a recoil buffer installed and a scope attached to the side mount; do you think it has something to do with one of these?
If not, have you heard of this before and what can I do to correct the problem with out buying a new gun. That had to be said because I know someone would recommend that as a solution…....hinking.gif

Thanks

Big Willy

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well first of all what kind of AK is it?

When you do a build, a critical distance is from the rear site block where the front of the dust cover seats, to the rear "trunion". You generally mount the front trunion first and then fit the rear "trunion" using the cover as a guide. If the builder rushes, and leave too much space then the cover doesn't fit well.

The other thing is if the recoil rod back end does not fit correctly into the rear "trunion", and thus doesn't catch the dust cover well. Make sure the recoil rod rear button sticks out about 1/4 inch out the back of the dust cover.

There are fixes for these problems, so don't worry....the AK is flexible and you can grind, weld, drill, and basically tweak it back into shape...

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, when you mount the cover, make sure that the knurled end of the recoil spring guide is fully back and sticking out about 1/4 inch from rear of the cover.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
 First, if you have not already, remove the recoil buffer and shoot again.  You don't really need one and it is the easiest thing to try.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top