Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
So, that range i can go to down here only lets me shoot copper jacketed ammo. But i cant seem to find it anywhere on the internet, and i'd like to buy it there since they charge 4 bucks a box for it at the range.

All i know is that it's wolf, and it's got a yellow box, not black.

Or of course, if you know of any other copper jacketed 7.62x39, lemme know about that too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
ammunitionstore.com has 1970's Yugo FMJ. Brass case, copper jacket, corrosive, $136/1120rnds on stripper clips.  Get a clip adapter for mags and that'd be right cool.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Outdoormarksman has the copper jacketed Wolf for less than your range charges.

Vector has Cheetah ammo, produced in Zimbabwe.

I think the Yugoslavian ammo is overpriced, considering that it's 30 years-old, surplus, and corrosive.

Federal makes copper jacketed FMJ 7.62x39 in their American Eagle line, but's it not a very good value considering what else is on the market.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Aim surplus was selling golden bear ammo, its brasses washed steel case, it should trick them well enough.

Ny jacketed do you mean the projectile or the case of the round?

As for yellow box Wolf I think thats the Poly coated stuff, most places should stock that now, its grey as opposed to the green laquer on older Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think Aim surplus was selling golden bear ammo, its brasses washed steel case, it should trick them well enough.

As for yellow box Wolf I think thats the Poly coated stuff, most places should stock that now, its grey as opposed to the green laquer on older Wolf.

The box colors didn't change with the poly cases.  Black boxes with a yellow stripe are all-copper jackets.  All-black boxes are bimetal jackets.  I don't think any of the other russian ammo factories (Barnaul, Uly, etc) do an all-copper jacket.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen any in stock Wolf all-copper jacketed bullets for 7.62x39 yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The box colors didn't change with the poly cases.  Black boxes with a yellow stripe are all-copper jackets.  All-black boxes are bimetal jackets.  I don't think any of the other russian ammo factories (Barnaul, Uly, etc) do an all-copper jacket.

Shouldn't amtter what wolf you use as no wolf ammo has any "steel" in the jacket even the bi-metal stuff. The bi-metal jacket uses copper/tin IIRC. The case yes, the bullet jacket no. Could they mean you have to shoot an all copper bullet???
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The bi-metal bullets are described as copper washed steel... It's magnetic, but it does not have a full steel core (Wolf FMJ).

I have copper jacketed .223 ammo and it's NOT magnetic. My M855 is magnetic because of the steel penetrator core.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this an indoor range?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
That Cheetah ammo was imported in 1995. It's almost 10 years old...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lemme guess.... you don't own any C&R weapons....do you?

<------still shooting WWII surplus ammo. Goes bang every time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying I can get FRESH NEW ammo for about the same price. Do you buy WWII surplus food and eat it? I prefer fresh food (as fresh as possible) and my philosophy is that if I feed everything with fresh food, it should perform well for years to come (my dog, fish, rifles, cars, etc...)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just saying I can get FRESH NEW ammo for about the same price. Do you buy WWII surplus food and eat it? I prefer fresh food (as fresh as possible) and my philosophy is that if I feed everything with fresh food, it should perform well for years to come (my dog, fish, rifles, cars, etc...)

10 year old ammo is not old at all. It gone through about 10% of its shelf life.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Yes, I agree in this instance but in terms of ammo, WWII ammo or any surplus for that matter, is like day old bread.  It might not taste the same but it will still get the job done.  In the case of surplus rifles, most of the time, the ammo hasn;t been made for years and is the only available.

My rifles only sometimes can tell the difference between surplus and fresh ammo.  Most of the time, the differnec is downrange, but then sometimes, the fresh ammo doesn't perform as well as the surplus, like in my M1a.  Between the fresh LC 7.62 and the aussie surplus, which is like 10 to 15 years old BTW, I'll take the aussie everytime as it just plain works better in my rifle.

I think that you could have picked a better comparason to old ammo then food.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Vector page says that the tooling used to make the ammo in Zimbabwe was imported from China in 1995, not that the ammo was manufactured in 1995.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Well crap, outdoor marksman has a great price, but they're all out of stock. I'll have to give them a call to see when they're going to be having more.

And it's an outdoor range i go to.

San Gabriel Valley gun club
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If it was cheap enough I would
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually stuff like USGI M2 ball runs better in a Garand then fresh commercial stuff any day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#18]
You might want to check here.

www.ammoman.com/webstore_762x39.htm
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Vector page says that the tooling used to make the ammo in Zimbabwe was imported from China in 1995, not that the ammo was manufactured in 1995.

There you have it. It's not necessarily 10 years old.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top