Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 4:01:37 PM EDT
Well that is the question. Can I use a MIG welder to install the trunions in a U-Fold-Em type reciever? If I have to I will rivet but a MIG would be so fast and easy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:26:27 PM EDT
I miged the front two rivet spots on 5 builds so far and put the rivets in the rear trunion holes in the Mag well. After several thousands rounds they seem to be holding up well.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 6:14:02 PM EDT by Quarterbore]

Originally Posted By GaryM:
Well that is the question. Can I use a MIG welder to install the trunions in a U-Fold-Em type reciever? If I have to I will rivet but a MIG would be so fast and easy.

Are you an experienced welder with a mig welder? Would you be willing and able to weld closed a hole in a front trunion for me?

On one of my first two builds I had a tap break inside one of the holes in my front trunion and in order for me to get the tap out I buggered up that hole pretty good (made it larger). I have been planning to press out the barrel and find someone that could weld the bugger shut so I could redrill and try again... This time I am building with rivets... My kit was a numbers matching kit or I would just get a new trunion...

As for your question at hand... I would buy an extra tapco flat $12 now and do some practice welds... The first build party I went to all the guns were built as weld builds and they looked great! As you can guess I am not a welder myself... well I can't weld yet but perhaps after I master rivets I will try that next
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Quarterbore:

Originally Posted By GaryM:

Are you an experienced welder with a mig welder? Would you be willing and able to weld closed a hole in a front trunion for me?

On one of my first two builds I had a tap break inside one of the holes in my front trunion and in order for me to get the tap out I buggered up that hole pretty good (made it larger). I have been planning to press out the barrel and find someone that could weld the bugger shut so I could redrill and try again... This time I am building with rivets... My kit was a numbers matching kit or I would just get a new trunion...

As for your question at hand... I would buy an extra tapco flat $12 now and do some practice welds... The first build party I went to all the guns were built as weld builds and they looked great! As you can guess I am not a welder myself... well I can't weld yet but perhaps after I master rivets I will try that next

I can do that kind of work if you dont find anyone local.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT by big_peter]
I've been wondering the same thing. I just did my first build, I have no patience for pressing out the barrel pin, head spacing, tapping or rivets. I just migged them up, fast, easy and has a 'clean' look. I've shot 500 rounds w/o problems but I'll keep close eye on it.

Quarterbore....drilling at tapping a weld will be no fun. Just have someone weld it into the receiver for you. They can most likely even leave a rivet looking 'head' on it for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:55 PM EDT
I've been planning on TIG'ing my upcomming builds (I weld profesionally) . But I think the look of the rivit heads gives the AK character, so I will likely tack the rivit heads on too. Should save a lot of time, effort and wont loosen up over time like rivits can. With a MIG you would just have to do a little grinding after welding.

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:50:07 PM EDT
I'm thinking about going this route also.I'm pretty good with a Mig. Do you guys think the excess heat in that area from welding would cause a problem? Would you have to reheat and quench? Hks are welded up,so why not an AK?
Top Top