BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2015 5:32:45 PM EDT
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ak47-30rd-762x39-steel-magazine-romanian-used-21167.html#.VZrKb4m9K0c

Last batch I got are great, very few minor dings at all and all 100% functional, just a lot of finish wear which actually makes them look BFPU cool.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up. Buy cheap, stack deep.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered some, can't remember last time I saw Romys that cheap. I almost ordered some new Tapcos for $7/ea, glad I waited.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ak47-30rd-762x39-steel-magazine-romanian-used-21167.html#.VZrKb4m9K0c

Last batch I got are great, very few minor dings at all and all 100% functional, just a lot of finish wear which actually makes them look BFPU cool.
View Quote

Thanks. Snagged 100.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, grabbed some and grabbed one of the 75 round romy drums they have on sale for $80.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

OOS. Nice job.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks. Snagged 100.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Snagged 100.

dayum.....we're gonna need pics of that batch for the mag whore thread.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the last of them.  Stocked up on ak47 mags now I just gotta find some ak74.  Been out of the ak game and just trying to get into it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow,, that was a great price,  When will they have more is the question.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have more, but the price increased $2 per mag here

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ak47-30rd-762x39-steel-magazine-romanian-used.html#.VZ2X0WfbJMs
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ak47-30rd-762x39-steel-magazine-romanian-used.html#.VZ2X0WfbJMs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDNN is blocked here at work, are they better condition for the higher price?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first ones said "small dents"

New one say "tiny dings/pitting"

I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same. I got mine today. Only a couple were pretty bad, overall cant argue for the price.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Out of stock
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Got mine when I got home today.  Pretty Damn nice shape for the price.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got mine when I got home today.  Pretty Damn nice shape for the price.
View Quote

Ditto, these are nicer by far than the last batch, very happy with them, especially at the price.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back in Stock for $6.99. The batch I got were terrific.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Got some. Thanks for the heads up. Although I always get annoyed when a place forces a fixed shipping quote on me......
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Out of stock again!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Seriously? I need to read my emails quicker!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Man these are nice. I'll get more if they come back in stock. I had to file some but no biggie. All came in individual bags.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Man these are nice. I'll get more if they come back in stock. I had to file some but no biggie. All came in individual bags.
View Quote
Hmm, that might be the issue with one of mine.  What is it you had to file?

In my case the follower does not come all the way up to the lips of the magazine, looks like you could drop a couple of rounds in and they would be loose.  I took apart, degreased and lubed, wiped off but that didn't help.

Is that the same issue you saw?

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In my case the follower does not come all the way up to the lips of the magazine, looks like you could drop a couple of rounds in and they would be loose.  I took apart, degreased and lubed, wiped off but that didn't help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm referring to the way the magazine locks up Into the rifle. It's somewhat common especially with the steel mags with an easy fix of filing the locking lug at the top back part of the mag. Youtube for visuals. No offense if you already knew this.

But it sounds like you're having an issue with the follower?  And you got all of that heavy grease (is it still cosmoline) that comes packed in them?

And you took them apart and didn't see any steel burs or anything? Something has to be stopping it from return to the top.

Can u get pics?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Out of stock again!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm referring to the way the magazine locks up Into the rifle. It's somewhat common especially with the steel mags with an easy fix of filing the locking lug at the top back part of the mag. Youtube for visuals. No offense if you already knew this.
But it sounds like you're having an issue with the follower?  And you got all of that heavy grease (is it still cosmoline) that comes packed in them?
And you took them apart and didn't see any steel burs or anything? Something has to be stopping it from return to the top.
Can u get pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can u get pics?

Here is a video of the insides: http://d.pr/v/1k5cf
And the other thing I noticed is that it is 4/100ths wider that my other AK mags, which means I can't even get it in the magwell!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And the other thing I noticed is that it is 4/100ths wider that my other AK mags, which means I can't even get it in the magwell!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302245/akmag.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can u get pics?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302245/akmag.jpg

Hmm. Obviously it's hard to tell from that pic but it does seem a tad bent out. Sorry if I missed it but do you have another AK to try it in?  A friend who has one?  Wish I could give you more help
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
back in stock at CDNN
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
back in stock at CDNN
View Quote

$6.88 - Rust / pitted

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$6.88 - Rust / pitted

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
back in stock at CDNN

$6.88 - Rust / pitted

Thanks. Think I'll wait until the small dented ones come back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered 20 of the "lightly pitted used" Romanian 30rd magazines. Hopefully after a stop at the parts cleaner, then the sanblaster, a little paint and they'll be GTG.

Has anyone picked up the new production Romanian 30rds CAI imported?
After the out-of-spec Croatian AK mags I got I'm a little leary of new production mags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I ordered 20 of the "lightly pitted used" Romanian 30rd magazines. Hopefully after a stop at the parts cleaner, then the sanblaster, a little paint and they'll be GTG.

After the out-of-spec Croatian AK mags I got I'm a little leary of new production mags.
View Quote

Someone over at AKfiles posted a photo.  Most of their mags were okay, but a few were a bit more than "lightly pitted".  

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered 3 of the tiny ding Romanians @ $12.99 each and 5 of the ones from link below on sale @ $6.88 (regular $7.99).  I traded for a WASR 10/63 Friday and it only came with 2 magazines.

1 gun, 10 magazines, 1000 rounds of ammunition minimum.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Someone over at AKfiles posted a photo.  Most of their mags were okay, but a few were a bit more than "lightly pitted".  
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150220_110517_zps5617384a.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150220_110517_zps5617384a.jpg

Does it work?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine came in yesterday.  I got 3 of the tiny ding mags ($12.88) and 5 of the lightly pitted ($6.88) mags.  On initial inspection, the lightly pitted ones just have a little red rust inside.  I do not see any pitting anywhere on them. I did get one where the follower will not go all the way up to the feed lips.  I took it apart and spray it out with WD40 and looked for anything obvious but did not see anything and it still hits solid before the feed lips.  The tiny ding magazines look like damn good, like "new" surplus magazines.  They all have storage grease all over them.

I will take them apart and boil them to get the casmoline out, then mix up 1 gal of de-odorized mineral spirits with 1 qt or synthetic motor oil and let them soak for a while and then see how they work.  

If anyone has a solution for the sticking follower, please let me know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I grabbed 10 of the pitted ones yesterday.

Will report back when they arrive Tuesday and see what i get
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thinking about ordering five.

Just wish I had more of an idea what they were like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your not sure hold off until Tuesday night and i will take some pics of mine and see if i got garbage or good/decent mags.

Im ok with mags with finish wear and pitting as long as they function good and the followers and springs arent rusted i will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Got an email late yesterday that SGAmmo has 10 packs of good to very good for $89.99 in stock, but that is another thread.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 10 of the lightly pitted due for delivery tomorrow. I'll post pics on Thursday
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok guys i got my 10 pitted mags today.

First off expect sub $6 mag quality and if you get better ones you wont be disappointed in what you get.

Each mag was in a sealed bag.Saw lots of rust color through the bags.Lots of pitting and slight surface rust where the pitting is.I noticed that with my mags the pitting was always near the top of the mag and only on one side.Im guessing that they were stored and one side of the mags was exposed to air or moisture at some point.

Here is what they looked like right out of the bags-

I checked each one for follwer movement before cleaning them.Had 2-3 with stuck followers,had to use a wooden spoon and a hammer to free them up.One had a quarter sized dent in it the other 2 has chunks of rust inside the mag along with pieces of dirt.

I scrubbed each mag with Hoppes 9 and a brass brush.Wiped clean with CLP. The rust area came off and left shiny areas where the rust was.I had 2-3 mags that were very lightly pitted.5 f the mags had serious pitting on the followers.I took some 600 grit sand paper and smoothed them out as the pitting made the followers rough.

All 10 mags are now in good working order and the followers dont stick.One mag is questionable until live fire is tested to determine if its a parts mag or not.

My advise is i wouldnt buy them at the new price they have them listed at.Sub $6 mags,yes.Not $7 mags at least what i got anyways.Im happy with my purchase as i was expecting rough mags that needed some work.
Most of my mags look to be Romanian,one has a serial number on it.

Here is some pics after they have been cleaned up.I will hit the shiny pitted spots with some black spray paint this weekend and test them out with live rounds.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice job cleaning up those mags.

They have "AK character".

I have several like that I bought cheap at the funshow. Cleaned up and painted.
View Quote

Thanks.

I agree they fit the part of the wear and tear took,which i like in my mags.A few of the mags look brand new un issued,just stored badly in a commie bunker somewhere

It took about an hour to clean all 10 mags thoroughly.

Anyone wanting to get these just expect to spend some time cleaning them and a little spray can paint to touch them up and you should be gtg,or leave the shiny spots and have some BFPU mags

For a bit more money i would get the nice ones from SGammo and not worry about what you get
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I agree they fit the part of the wear and tear took,which i like in my mags.A few of the mags look brand new un issued,just stored badly in a commie bunker somewhere

Anyone wanting to get these just expect to spend some time cleaning them and a little spray can paint to touch them up and you should be gtg,or leave the shiny spots and have some BFPU mags

For a bit more money i would get the nice ones from SGammo and not worry about what you get
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Thanks for posting those photos!  

I think you're right.  Just buy better mags.  Since CDNN raised the price, it's not worth $~1/mag to knock out dents and refinish mags.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
They don't look bad at all for the price, if they're still around come payday I might have to find a way to distract the wife
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think you're right.  Just buy better mags.  Since CDNN raised the price, it's not worth $~1/mag to knock out dents and refinish mags.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Your welcome.

Yeah they arent terrible mags by any means.I let them soak in a nice coating of CLP for today and wiped them off.They look pretty good,just not worth it unless they drop the price back down to $6 or so.

I enjoy working on them so i came out fine for what i paid for them.Hopefully my mini review will help other make a decision if they want to gamble on buying these mags or not.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Mine came in yesterday.  I got 3 of the tiny ding mags ($12.88) and 5 of the lightly pitted ($6.88) mags.  On initial inspection, the lightly pitted ones just have a little red rust inside.  I do not see any pitting anywhere on them. I did get one where the follower will not go all the way up to the feed lips.  I took it apart and spray it out with WD40 and looked for anything obvious but did not see anything and it still hits solid before the feed lips.  The tiny ding magazines look like damn good, like "new" surplus magazines.  They all have storage grease all over them.

I will take them apart and boil them to get the casmoline out, then mix up 1 gal of de-odorized mineral spirits with 1 qt or synthetic motor oil and let them soak for a while and then see how they work.  

Thanks

View Quote
Follower won't go up to the feed lips - exactly the problem I have with one f mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Follower won't go up to the feed lips - exactly the problem I have with one f mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Check for dents in the mag body,gunk in the mag body,or burs on the sides and back of the follower when it is out of the mag.

You can take a good smooth follower assembly from another mag and put it in the problem mag and if the follower still sticks then you know to look at the mag body for your sticking problems.

If the follower from the donor mag is smooth working then you know to look at the follower and that is the problem.Just eliminate the problem to either the mag body or the follower so you know where the sticking is coming from.

The 2-3 mags i had that stuck had some pitting on the sides of the follower body that binded up on the mag body.I used very fine 600 grit sand paper with some CLP on it and it came right off and the follower was smooth again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#49]
If the dents are too much to work out, there's a guy over on AKfiles who modifies them to have "windows" thus removing the problem area. Bad-Element is his handle, and they look great when done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#50]
If it's the mag body and I can identify the tight spot, I've had good luck inserting a hammer handle from the bottom to the offending area, then twisting the hammer head to wedge the mag walls apart a bit.  Most hammer handles flair at the end, and when rotated will press outward.  Tough part is to find a wooden handled hammer anymore.

It is surprising to see something built like a tank have this problem, but I'm sure they get plenty of abuse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top