Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 1:45:10 PM EDT
Well folks the much anticipated AKM parts kit arrived today via the BBT. As with every other project I've started, I have spent countless hours here on ARFCOM, AKFiles.com and Gunco.net doing research and studying. In some ways the discovery process is just as fun as the actual building and shooting.

This is my first adventure into the AK world of building and I'd like to share it with my Arfcom community.

Here we have the Romanian AKM 7.62X39 Parts kit as provided by Chris & Sandyat  akparts.com]akparts.com]akparts.com
This is literally seconds after the BBT left and I unwrapped the package. I ordered this kit at 11:20 pm on Monday night....the package was shipped next day and arrived today(thursday) at 3pm.  Real nice sevice from akparts.com

And here is the other side...

Now I'm not much for judging condition on firearms but let me tell you...this unit is pristine.

The finish is NRA 100% and every part has matching numbers. To say the least I was tickled AK red.

I don't think there was ever a mag inserted into this 1986 example...look at the mag catch....

The brown stuff around the barrel and front tunnion is cosmo or oil....there was not a mark or spot of rust anywhere on this kit....OK I have to confess....when I talked to Chris at akparts.com I requested hand picked....he did me right wouldn't you say.

Stay tuned...more to come as I start to work on the girl....I'll bet you can't tell I'm excited to get started.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you got a very nice kit.  Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking kit.  That will make a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, make me buy another romanian kit, why dont you? Seriously, beautiful kit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The hand pick option looks like it was worth it.  What receiver are you going to use?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like you got a very nice kit.  Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

Chris at akparts.com  had them on sale for $99.95 SHIPPED     add $20.00 for the hand pick, so my package was $119.95 to my back door.

I say had because I just check today and he is showing "sold out" on this kit.   Alot of good it does me to hype his site if he doesn't have any.

One the other hand I see that Scott Gulledge at dpharms.com has a blow out sale going on....his are $89.99 + shipping ....which for my zip was 10.95 UPS ground.....so roughly about the same deal less the hand pick charge.

Scott will not hand pick any at this "blow out price"....it's luck of the draw, however, they come from the same importer as my kit and they are rated "excellent" with bright bores.  If I can't get another from Chris, I will be calling Scott at DPH.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The hand pick option looks like it was worth it.  What receiver are you going to use?

Eli....I have done tons of research on the receiver and compiance parts.

I have to decide if I want this build to be mine for ever or do I want the option to sell it in the future.

Why is that you ask....well it's like this

Option #1  If I buy a flat and bend it myself, then no one know I have this gun....no FFL paperwork required; however you can build it only for ourself....you can not re-sell these units as they are not serialized.

Option #2 I can buy a 100% receiver, ready to go....but it has to go through an FFL and that will mean paperword, another $20.00 transfer etc. However, I can sell this build at a later date....if my kid needs braces or college tuition or what-not.

There are draw backs to both and pro's also....a flat will cost me a jig....a press....a spot welder.....a tivet jig....and on and on....we're talking hundreds.

If I buy a ready made....it's about $50.00 for the Ewbanks from ]dpharms.com[/] or about the same for the GT unit at Global trades.

There are a dozen theads here and the above mentioned boards that do side by side comparisons....it's a toss up.

The short of it is I will no doubt order the Ewbanks unit form DPH arms for $50.00 with rivet kit that's on sale right now for $6.00
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking for functional kits. Something that would build into an functional and reliable rifle, not a safe-queen so I just rec'd 2 of the $80 kits from Scott [he ran out of the $80 kits] at dpharms.com.

One of the $80 kits looked to be totally unused, the other not much worse off: they were both in excellent shape.  You can't go wrong for $89, and I'm thinking about ordering a few more!

Terry
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going through the same dilemma.  I have 4 kits that I'm finally getting serious about putting together.  I've had 2 of them for 3 years.  I think I'm going to try making a bending jig and getting some flats.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing that I just noticed is that the axis pin for the FCG is missing and does not appear anywhere in the kit....does anyone know if these are included in the rivet kit or is this a seperate item....I have to find one.....help
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok.....continuing with the build......

I get home from work today and decide to tackle some of the clean up of the kit.....

I degreased all the metal parts with brake cleaner and then started on the wood.

Now can anyone tell me what fetish the Romanians have with varnish/shellak ??? I mean there is sooooooo much on this stock set that it took me an hour to peel the layers off......I guess the wood is kinda rough sanded and they layer the finish on there to smooth it out some....

Do you think my wife will mind if I use her All-Clad stock pot??? Shhhh don't tell her.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in my father-in-laws shed and I see what appears to be a press....buried amongst the farm scrap and so I drag it out in the daylight and here is what I found.

I know it is strong enough cause it weights 150 lbs.   Now a question for those who might know....Will the screw action work with pushing the barrel pin and barrel?? The reason I ask is because all the hydraulic units just push straight down....this will too, but it will be twisting also. What say you???

I know ...I know...."Just go try it you knuck head"  got it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top