Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 9:18:44 AM EDT
Minus the bolt, are there any other changes required to make a 5.56 SLR-106UR use a 5.45 barrel?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Minus the bolt, are there any other changes required to make a 5.56 SLR-106UR use a 5.45 barrel?

Carrier too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel,bolt, bolt carrier, and work to the ejector to make it run right.  Also the trigger, and bolt carrier might need profiled a little bit to help it run smoothly.  

When I swapped bolts and bolt carriers in my 106u pistol (using a russian tula bolt and bolt carrier), the ejector would bind on the cut out in the bolt.  The ejector on the 106u rail had a slight upturn to it, while the cutout in the russian bolt was made for a flat/level ejector causing it to bind.

When I just placed the bolt into place in the 106u pistol, it would catch on the front of the bolt carrier on the hammer.  Not sure how much work it would take to make it run smoothly, but it was pretty tight.  I had to actively push the hammer down to get the carrier to pass it.  Even when racking the bolt with a little speed or momentum, it would stop it dead in its tracks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Barrel,bolt, bolt carrier, and work to the ejector to make it run right.  Also the trigger, and bolt carrier might need profiled a little bit to help it run smoothly.  

When I swapped bolts and bolt carriers in my 106u pistol (using a russian tula bolt and bolt carrier), the ejector would bind on the cut out in the bolt.  The ejector on the 106u rail had a slight upturn to it, while the cutout in the russian bolt was made for a flat/level ejector causing it to bind.

When I just placed the bolt into place in the 106u pistol, it would catch on the front of the bolt carrier on the hammer.  Not sure how much work it would take to make it run smoothly, but it was pretty tight.  I had to actively push the hammer down to get the carrier to pass it.  Even when racking the bolt with a little speed or momentum, it would stop it dead in its tracks.

Ugh. I had a feeling it was more than meets the eye. Thanks for the reply. I had hopes of taking a SLR-106U pistol and putting a Bulgarian 5.45 krink barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh. I had a feeling it was more than meets the eye. Thanks for the reply. I had hopes of taking a SLR-106U pistol and putting a Bulgarian 5.45 krink barrel.

Some forums will ban you just for mentioning building a 5.45x39 pistol.  There is a reason you don't see retailers selling them.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129683

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some forums will ban you just for mentioning building a 5.45x39 pistol.  There is a reason you don't see retailers selling them.

I should have been more precise and clear

Ugh. I had a feeling it was more than meets the eye. Thanks for the reply. I had hopes of taking a SLR-106U pistol and putting a Bulgarian 5.45 krink barrel. It would make a nice SBR 5.45 krink.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few retailers sell them and the surplus is still coming.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
To much of a pain in the ass. The 106 is designed from the ground up as an AKM patterned weapon. The magwell, trunnion, bolt, carrier, rails, everything. It would be cheaper to buy a Russian kit and a matching numbered 74ULLC receiver.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To much of a pain in the ass. The 106 is designed from the ground up as an AKM patterned weapon. The magwell, trunnion, bolt, carrier, rails, everything. It would be cheaper to buy a Russian kit and a matching numbered 74ULLC receiver.

Thanks RR. I actually meant to ask this question in your AK Guru thread but I pressed New Topic instead of Reply so here we are.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the SLR-106 is mostly AKM pattern but the magwell is `74 pattern. It would be easier to keep everything, open up the bolt face to accept a 5.45 case head and then install and headspace the new barrel. That would reduce or eliminate any tweaks afterward to run.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, the SLR-106 is mostly AKM pattern but the magwell is `74 pattern. It would be easier to keep everything, open up the bolt face to accept a 5.45 case head and then install and headspace the new barrel. That would reduce or eliminate any tweaks afterward to run.

Never thought about that. Wouldn't the extractor need replacing too? Are you aware of anyone that has successfully done this type of conversion?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Just think how simple this would all be if Arsenal made up a couple hundred "SLR-105UR" pistols???
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A few retailers sell them and the surplus is still coming.

who?  I've yet to see a 5.45x39 pistol sold by any of the AK sellers I have checked.

I have seen that guys are building AR pistols in the round at the hkpro forum and pistol uppers at http://www.kwikrnuarms.com/ but I don't and haven't seen any major dealers listing them.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top