Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 5:20:09 PM EDT
I'm leaning towards getting one of the NoDak AKS-74 receivers.  They offer two models, one with and one without the pistol grip reinforcement plate.  I'm wanting to build something close to a Russian clone.  Do I need this plate or not?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

MBR
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  That's the way the real deal is built.  It's stronger and looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no way you could possibly convince me that you need a reinforcement for the pistol grip. Unless of course you are using it as a hammer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
No you don't NEED one, but he wants to build a Russian clone, so for authenticity, yes he NEEDS one.

MBR
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no way you could possibly convince me that you need a reinforcement for the pistol grip. Unless of course you are using it as a hammer.

It strange that Arsenal includes a reinforcement plate on their side folders.  I guess it's part of the design.  It seems the Russians, Poles, Ukanians and Bulgarians; to name a few,  are convinced that they are needed for combat.  I know; what do they know?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually bent my 7.62 krink on a oow without one there
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Basic comprehension of building anything will tell you that those pg reinforcement plates do nothing. The pistol grip is not absorbing any recoil or rearward force. One of the basic rules of shooting a rifle if you want to hit your target is to NOT yank on the pistol grip when firing, you let the shoulder absorb the shock naturally.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It's probably not needed from a structural standpoint (plenty of sidefolders have been built without them over the years, and their receivers have not caved in during the course of normal use), but it would be "correct" if you're trying to replicate the model exactly.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, my initial inquiry was about cosmetics.

I'm sure it has to do with all the extra holes popped in the stock receiver to allow for the folding mechanism.  Probably more an issue with a REAL assault rifle and not the toys we play with.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top