Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 11:31:11 PM EDT
In your guys oppinion what is the best US made AK-74 Gas Piston?  Also if theres a link to it don't forget to post it.  For some reason I thought the Gas Piston I had would work but tis for a 7.62 not 5.45.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
They all seem to be about the same. I prefer to use one that is marked USA, which would make it easier if you ever had to prove your compliance status.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing I noticed about the K-Var ones is that they attract a magnet so I don't think they are stainless. I used Tapcos in previous builds and don't see anything wrong with them. I ordered a 47 and a 74 piston from K-var and they are lightly marked with the US made info, I will see if it is durable. The 74 piston Had some light surface rust on it so I am not sure how good the plating is or it was next to bare metal. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The thing I noticed about the K-Var ones is that they attract a magnet so I don't think they are stainless. I used Tapcos in previous builds and don't see anything wrong with them. I ordered a 47 and a 74 piston from K-var and they are lightly marked with the US made info, I will see if it is durable. The 74 piston Had some light surface rust on it so I am not sure how good the plating is or it was next to bare metal. Time will tell.

Some stainless steels will attract a magnet somewhat. Also, not all stainless steels are "stainless". Some will rust. It depends on the alloy, and the quality of manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I used some made by hotbarrel over on akfiles, 15 bucks each shipped, its a good price, there stamped USA and are of good quality, stainless steel.  McM
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
K-VAR's U.S. made pistons are made by Arsenal Inc of Las Vegas Nevada. Since Arsenal Inc is licensed by the Bulgarian Arsenal, they don't require reverse engineering to achieve their configuration and size specifications (they follow the Bulgarian Arsenal specs, and supposedly even closer than the Bulgarians do). Where they do deviate from Bulgarian specs is in their piston's material specifications. Rather than using whatever high carbon steel and chrome plating used by the Bulgarians, the Arsenal Inc U.S. made gas piston is made of a stainless steel.

There are many grades of stainless steel. I believe the main component that places steel in the "stainless steel" catagory, is chromium. The more chromium, the less likely to rust. Some steels that have chromium do not have enough of it to be considered "stainless steel" (example: chrome moly steel).
No matter what type of stainless steel it is, it will still contain iron, so a magnet should still have to adhere to it. I think I'd worry if a magnet did not stick to it :)

The gas pistons made by Arsenal Inc are not hard chrome plated carbon steel units, as their Bulgarian counterparts are, but rather made of 100% stainless steel.

I don't know if any U.S. firm makes a true full spec AK gas piston (using the proper steel and hard chrome plating), but as far as size and configuration specs, the Arsenal Inc pistons are designed using Bulgarian specifications.
They were calling these their "match grade" pistons, and the only reason for this was that they supposedly followed and held closer tolerance standards then the Bulgarians do when they make their AK pistons. That may or may not be company hype, but that is why they claimed they went with the match grade designation.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I used some made by hotbarrel over on akfiles, 15 bucks each shipped, its a good price, there stamped USA and are of good quality, stainless steel.  McM

+1 on hotbarrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for hotbarrel.

He's a member at most forums, but your best chance to catch him is at gunco, that's his home base.
He is also making tantal pistons and MB's.
Great guy to deal with.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top