Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 3:56:53 PM EDT
Hi guys. I'm new to the Ak board but I'm a member of the AR board. I was just curious... who makes the best made AK available today? It can be foreign or domestic. Speaking of domestic, what is the name of the U.s. manufacturer that make them using original tooling?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunner-1 , I have several types of AK's. 74's and 47's. If I was going to get just one and could have only one it would be a SAM 7 or its twin SLR 101S. They are really the same rifle.One has a cleaning rod holder and one don't.They are built one a Milled reciever and are both 7.62x39 .Both have the Optic side plate . Smooth action and Bulgarian quality. They can be found in shops and gunshows for $400-$600 . I got my SLR 101S for $400 at a gunshow.It kicks ass. Green furniture and black furniture avalible. Get one. The SLR 101S are normally alittle cheaper than a SAM 7 . They (SLR 101S ) started out as a single stack mag rifle. They then converted them to take the double stack mag. They( Arsenal ) did a top knotch job. Both SAM 7's and SLR 101S are great rifles and will last a life time and your kids. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Russian Vepr, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some good choices out there now, but my vote for the best all new standard production semi auto AK variant being made today, would be the Arsenal Inc SA M-7. They are built using brand new Bulgarian Arsenal components, and the rest of the components are made here under license of that firm. It is the only U.S. made AK that is licensed by a former eastern bloc AK manufacturer (Arsenal of Bulgaria). They are the only standard production AK in America built on a forged, milled, and fully heat treated receiver (and again, it is licensed by the Bulgarians). The finish is the phosphate base with black final finish method.
The SA M-7 is also not modified from something else, being built up from scratch in the U.S. as a double stack firearm (not having any mag conversions and such). Their fire control group seems to be the closest to the original Bulgarian semi auto FCG's. Their fire control group is being made under license of the Bulgarians using their methods of forging, milling, and heat treating.
Stock sets are made by using the same German polymer that the Bulgarians use, and as all other American components, are Bulgarian licensed.
Arsenal Inc not only makes their rifles under Arsenal of Bulgaria license, but also under their name (also under license). They even brought over and employ some Bulgarian Techs from the Bulgarian Arsenal to make sure the processes of the Bulgarian Arsenal are followed.

My vote, and in my oppinion......Arsenal Inc's SA M-7 (and other Arsenal Inc products):)
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can get your hands on a Finnish Valmet or Israel Galil, you'll have one of the best Ak's at your disposal. Pricey! ;)

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top