Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:13:57 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a russian made SVD. Just a real quick question for some basic maintenance. I notice when the rifle first arrived, there are several minor scratches, slightly revealing the silvery steel part. I suppose that's normal for most russian made weapons, but my concern is that will those small areas where the original coating wear off get a higher chance to rust than the rest of the rifle?

I understand every firearms requires to be cleaned and oiled from time to time. However due to work and stuff, I won't be home most of the time, so I can only clean and oil my guns once every 4-6 months. I own several rifles for years, I kept them in my gun rack, each placed in a brownells rust protection bag. It never have a single spot of rust. This SVD however, even with all those rust protection I'm still worried. Because every firearms I have unlike the SVD, does not have a single scratch whatsoever. The coating is in perfect condition everywhere, so I suppose even out of those brownell bags, it shouldn't be much of a problem. It is the scratched bit on my SVD that got be concerned. Any input will be appreciated.

p.s. I'm more of a gun collector, so only a few of my firearms is actually being used. SVD along with the rest, is purely for collection purpose.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're really concerned, a film of grease or LPS-3 over the areas concerning you, combined with your other steps will prevent those scratches from rusting for at least the time you're away.

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top