Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 5:27:26 AM EDT
What lube are you using for pressing the barrel and trunion together?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
How difficult is pressing the barrel into the trunion?  Does it take an expert or 'smith?

TIA,

TS
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I spoke to our Metalurgy Engineer about using heat to expand the the trunion to fit these pieces together.

He told me to heat the trunion in the oven to 500 deg.F for 15 minutes. Keep the barrel at room temperature. He said they should fit right together. I haven't tried it yet but, considering I don't want to spend $250 for a press and I can't find a local smith who'll do it for me, I'm running out of options. Sending the trunion and barrel out of town to be assembed is not an option. SAI left such a nasty taste in my mouth that I won't ever send a firearm out of town where I can reach it easily.

You can let me be the genie pig and I'll tell you how it turned out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
IT WORKED!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you get the spacing right?  Are there spacers like there are for an AR?

TS
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Headspacing on the AK has to be done with a guage of the correct caliber.
The method of heating the trunion is a start for aligning the gasport and seating the barrel to the trunion.
I suppose if the receiver was set up to take the bolt and carrier one could head space before it cools to room temp.
as a precaution I would check the headspace again when the receiver reaches room temp.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top