Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 5:24:09 AM EDT
I was just setting around thinking  tomorrow is the one year annivesary of the assault weapon ban expiring and I was wandering if we were really any better off???Seems like the price we paid to get a screw off and on muzzle device, bayo lug and new high cap mags were high...
Prices of guns and ammo have gotten high even mags and parts for some..
An all new bullshit rule about imported kits ..
What do you think???? Since last year are we better or worse and are even harder times down the road?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
We're better off and yes,harder times are down the road.But this is normal for People who like assault type rifles,I've seen the tide change many times over the years.Buy this stuff while you can,we're not guaranteed tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We're better off and yes,harder times are down the road.But this is normal for People who like assault type rifles,I've seen the tide change many times over the years.Buy this stuff while you can,we're not guaranteed tomorrow.

Oh yeah if you see it you better get it I've done my best to do that with the wife complaining the whole time(see sig line) I thought that with the experation of the ban prices would go up, availability would dry up a little on some things but would recover after awhile??? But it looks like its not going to recover..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
We refugees in NY are pretty much in the same place.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I will agree that it is waaaaaaay better since the ban went away..But the prices Ive been seeing on things are soaring and you dont hear of anymore coming in anytime.....Just seems the ban ending didnt really help AK's to much to me anyway....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Better off.

We have bayonet lugs, flash hiders, hicap mags, and folding stocks.

Not for me in NJ!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at how much cheaper magazines are.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I just love the fact that dealers cant say "well, these are pre-ban you know"
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
We are DEFINTELY better off in many ways.  Prices have went a little higher on new manufacture, but even those have settled down a bit as demand has been met.  The really nice surprise was how it affected the price on pre-89 ban AK's.  I bought a PolyTech Legend underfolder in the box for about $600 less than I would have paid for it about 3 years ago.  I picked up a Colt AR15 SP1 last year for $1,075 a few months before the ban ended (I can pick up one just like it now for around $950 if I shopped it hard enough) - I can remember seeing them for $2,500 right after the 94 AWB.  The barrel ban has been somewhat of a kick in the balls, but I think it has worked as a stimulus for people to get off their keisters and go ahead and get kits.  By the time the ban is fully in effect, I think about 15 years worth of AK kits will have been imported!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
We are way better off.  All of my ARs have FSs on them and as soon as some Bulgy FSs come in my muzzle brake on my AKS-74 will come off.  New hi-cap AR mags are very reasanable now, so are 10-22 mags.  I've loaded up on Glock and Beretta factory mags.  Did I mention I now have a functioning AKS-74  and soon will have my AKMS underfolder built by jnewt.  Come on man, we are way better off, even taking into account the AK parts kit rule BS.  I'm going to buy a couple more AR lowers with retractable stocks shortly and build them within a year.  Thank God the AWB is gone, it has been the only thing Bush has done well and that is because it required him to do nothing to end.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
............ tomorrow is the one year annivesary of the assault weapon ban expiring ..........

And yesterday was the 9-11-01 terrerist attack anniversary, I think it is fitting that the two are so close. the government gave our right to own good defensive weapons back to us allmost on the anniversary of the attack of America.

God bless America!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Better off.

We have bayonet lugs, flash hiders, hicap mags, and folding stocks.

+1000

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/clange/aks.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Um, yeah, we're better off.

Does anyone actually miss welded-on muzzle brakes and non-functional side folders?

How about mini-y comps?

The barrel ban sucks but I wouldn't give up my 6920 for 10 AK barrels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell I leave my brake on all the time anyway..
I was able to get cheap mag's..
I (personal preference) dont care for the under or sidefolder..
Now on the AR side of it now thats different..Believe me I love the fact of them finally doing away of a ridiculous rule dont get me wrong, but my AK's havent changed much...

And as for the mini Y comp I loved shooting em with no ear protection.....WHAT!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you have Hillary Clinton for a Senator.............

Don't forget Chucky Schumer
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Does anyone actually miss welded-on muzzle brakes and non-functional side folders?

How about mini-y comps?

Never seen such a thing.. What's a "non-functional side foler"?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about mini-y comps?

Never seen such a thing.. What's a "non-functional side foler"?

+1,I can admit it now,I cheated!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#20]
And now is not the time to become lazy either. There are a few more bans out there that need to be dealt with and the biggest problem facing us is not the government, it's ourselves. Until all of us from every gunboard can become united as one to fight for our rights, all we can look foward to is more bans.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1.  New York Sucks Donkey Dick.  Unfortunately, I'm tied here with my job for another 15 years...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#22]
next useless gun control to go -> import parts ban.

come on republicans...be pro gun like you say you are..

get rid of that crap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Personally, I am better off. Although I have ditched the folder on my AK for a fixed stock, I can't imagine ever having another AR with a fixed stock. I have loaded up on AK, AR, and GLOCK mags and I need to buy some more L1A1 inch mags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn;t even think of it until you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
wow, it's been a year already, the anniversary of the expiration of the ban totally slipped past me. I say we're better off !  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
And now is not the time to become lazy either. There are a few more bans out there that need to be dealt with and the biggest problem facing us is not the government, it's ourselves. Until all of us from every gunboard can become united as one to fight for our rights, all we can look foward to is more bans.

+1, this man speaks truth.  What can we do here as ARFCOMMERS and as citizens to make a difference ?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I say it is about time to start chipping away at the 89 import ban, and the 86 mg ban. Those two thorns would probably be the easiest to get struck down. I am ready to throw in and help out.

H.R. 1703 is a beautiful bill and idea, but it would only prevail as an amendment or clause because it cannot stand alone "as is" because of the nature of its stipulations. Anti-gun folks just wouldn't allow it  

The only way to really get things done is to get "W" to axe that '89 EO that his daddy put into effect. That would open the doors to all the things we really appreciate in this hobby. I really wouldn't bother with the '86 mg ban right now... That will be one tough sumbitch to defeat. Let's do one thing at a time.

On the more realistic side... eliminating the '89 EO or passing (or attaching) H.R. 1703 is something that I can see happening. It seems like a long shot, but I am hoping that the NRA will tackle it next after S.397 is Platinum !

I think lack of communication and plain and simple gun-law ignorance is what seperates gun boards and their members on these issues. I think all gun boards should have permanent stickies and tacks at the top of EVERY forum explaining what is going on in the "House" and who to contact to make a difference.

Arfcom is a HUGE gun community, but you don't see these things tacked for very long. I say keep them tacked and updated 'till they ( the bans ) go away.  I said it in the past and I'll say it again... I think it is irresonsible for any / all gun boards to not take an active stance to fix the warped laws.

There are still people on arfcom that believe it is illegal to own a Machine gun, WTF !  The internet is supposed to me the link of knowledge, yet most of us are "pro-my gun and my issues" and not "pro-gun legislation" !  Everyone does know that the AWB was going to expire and that it had nothing to do with republicans or GWB right ? It would still be in effect if it weren't for the built in 10 year thing.

Let's get this information together and get it tacked, stapled, hammered to the top of every single forum on arfcom. People need to know what they can do to make a difference. The squeeky wheels get the grease. These special interest groups and "anti's" make  a lot of noise. Surely with all of our guns we can be louder  

What say ye  

ETA: EVERY forum on arfcom has a PICTURES thread tacked, for eternity, yet no one sees it necessary to tack something that can actually make a difference ?
This gives me the impression that showing off pictures is more important than fighting for our God given, constitutional rights, am I wrong ?  Has vanity taken the place of the 2nd amendment ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Wow, that was a monthful. So many people to fight and so little time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Our worst enemy, IMHO, are the hunters that convice people that AKs and ARs are only for criminals.  The ones that say they are pro gun, but with "reasonable" limits.  These people are just as bad as the anti-gun activists. They don't understand that the antigunners will be out to get them once we're out of the way.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#31]
My AK has 30-rnd mags, a muzzle brake, and a bayonet lug. We proved the libtards wrong about the AWB stopping crime. Feinswine and Brady are having a meltdown. All is good.

And if they hurry up and get Saiga's in stock I can get an AK-104 finally!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Our worst enemy, IMHO, are the hunters that convice people that AKs and ARs are only for criminals.  The ones that say they are pro gun, but with "reasonable" limits.  These people are just as bad as the anti-gun activists. They don't understand that the antigunners will be out to get them once we're out of the way.  

Big +1
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I cant believe you are even asking this question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#34]
The reason why I asked is to see if anyone has put two and two together to find that this barrel ban is directly related to the assault weapon ban ending..
I just feel sometimes that we just gave up cheap and plentiful kits for some gadgets I dont use on an AK anyway (personally)...
I didnt take my brake's on and off ..I may have put my bayo on once for a picture..AK folders are just not for me and high cap mags were never an issue for me before the ban as for most of my weapons are AK's ,AR's and FAL..
Just speaking as an AK enthusiast not much has changed for me..Yeah you can buy high cap Glocks and NEW  mag's, hell I could'nt do without my collapsable stock on my AR's and I like the fact we gained back something in the genre of gun rights..It's like being satisfied with paying $2.65 a gallon for gas... I'm not content with that (lord knows what it will be in a day or two)... I'm tired of what "we the people" have to go thru at the whim of some Gov official saying we can have this but were going to ban that.....More needs to be done...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't tell you how many times I've had to bayonet someone in the last year. Thank God the ban ended because I would be forced to just buttstroke them to death. It's a lot more work and I just get plain wore out afterwards.

I got to go sharpen my bayonet. I'm planning a drive by bayoneting later today..... I'm be using using two or 3 rifles at the same time. More effective that way.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top