Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 2:34:10 PM EDT
All in all what is the better firearm? I am new to AKs so I need help. I prefer the looks of the VEPR over the arsenal because I have never been a huge fan of AK looks but the VEPR I like. Are there any tactical/railed handguard I can get for the arsenal? I know its difficult to find a VEPR and will be for an unknown length of time. I really dont like the grip on the arsenal. Could I put one of these fob ergonomic pistol grips on it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 5.45 Vepr K and I'll say if you like the look of the Vepr, get one. Jensen Arms probably has some left, he's a dealer in the AR15.com EE (the classifieds section) The pics in the "Veprs for sale" ad shows green furniture, but the one I got from him has black furniture, which looks better to me anyway!

Just one warning, the Vepr is 2 pounds heavier than a SLR105. It doesn't come with any accessories except a 30 round mag and a cable lock.

The plusses are it has the heavy-duty RPK receiver and they're considered to be more accurate than a regular AK...probably because of the heavier barrel and thicker receiver?

The finish on the Veprs are very, very nice. I've seen Arsenal AK's in 2 local gun stores, and I'm not too impressed with the finish on them.

I'm pretty sure someone makes a railed handguard that'll fit the SLR105. Check the AK parts & accessories section of the EE.

Here's a link that shows how to install an accessory rail on Veprs.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=75822

The Vepr's stock and pistol grip are one piece. I hear ACE is working on an adapter that will allow Vepr owners the ability to put standard AK stocks & pistol grips on them.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks for the advice and the link. I apreciate it. At just under $600 is that a good price? I know on gunbroker you can get one for $554 but it says you have to wait. I wonder how long that wait is. After I get my vette, that VEPR 5.45 w/ pistol grip and sling will be my trunk gun I tell you. Is it known weather they will be produced again?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I am new to AKs myself and was going through the same decision between a Vepr 5.45 and an Arsenal SLR 105 several months ago.  Both are excellent rifles, but what sold me on the SLR 105 was its relative lightness and pointability.  I have a friend who owned both and did a comparison test at the range.  The Vepr had a slight edge in accuracy, but was just too unbalanced and heavy.
I put an Ultimak on the SLR 105 and have been very happy with it.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I did this same comparison before buying a pair of SLR-105s.  The Veper is an excellent firearm, but too heavy and I didn't like the balance as much.  Also, with the stacks of aftermarket parts out there, there are more options for an SLR over the Veper.  I also didn't like the look of the Veper much, but if you like it then it may be worth it to you.  Either one will be a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, the VEPR is 2 pounds heavier....that may not sound like much, but you WILL feel it. It really is a lot of extra weight. That said, VEPRs are nice weapons, though I really prefer the the more "traditional" AK look.

My vote goes to the SLR-105. Really couldn't be more pleased with mine. Now if I could only find some ammo.........
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would take the SLR-105. I like the AK look, plus it's an Arsenal which are top notch...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top