Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 1:34:10 PM EST
All in all what is the better firearm? I am new to AKs so I need help. I prefer the looks of the VEPR over the arsenal because I have never been a huge fan of AK looks but the VEPR I like. Are there any tactical/railed handguard I can get for the arsenal? I know its difficult to find a VEPR and will be for an unknown length of time. I really dont like the grip on the arsenal. Could I put one of these fob ergonomic pistol grips on it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:44:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 4:52:43 PM EST by Bullitt3401]
I have a 5.45 Vepr K and I'll say if you like the look of the Vepr, get one. Jensen Arms probably has some left, he's a dealer in the AR15.com EE (the classifieds section) The pics in the "Veprs for sale" ad shows green furniture, but the one I got from him has black furniture, which looks better to me anyway!

Just one warning, the Vepr is 2 pounds heavier than a SLR105. It doesn't come with any accessories except a 30 round mag and a cable lock.

The plusses are it has the heavy-duty RPK receiver and they're considered to be more accurate than a regular AK...probably because of the heavier barrel and thicker receiver?

The finish on the Veprs are very, very nice. I've seen Arsenal AK's in 2 local gun stores, and I'm not too impressed with the finish on them.

I'm pretty sure someone makes a railed handguard that'll fit the SLR105. Check the AK parts & accessories section of the EE.

Here's a link that shows how to install an accessory rail on Veprs.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=75822

The Vepr's stock and pistol grip are one piece. I hear ACE is working on an adapter that will allow Vepr owners the ability to put standard AK stocks & pistol grips on them.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:15:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 5:19:12 PM EST by Foxtrot427]
Ok thanks for the advice and the link. I apreciate it. At just under $600 is that a good price? I know on gunbroker you can get one for $554 but it says you have to wait. I wonder how long that wait is. After I get my vette, that VEPR 5.45 w/ pistol grip and sling will be my trunk gun I tell you. Is it known weather they will be produced again?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:10:43 AM EST
I am new to AKs myself and was going through the same decision between a Vepr 5.45 and an Arsenal SLR 105 several months ago. Both are excellent rifles, but what sold me on the SLR 105 was its relative lightness and pointability. I have a friend who owned both and did a comparison test at the range. The Vepr had a slight edge in accuracy, but was just too unbalanced and heavy.
I put an Ultimak on the SLR 105 and have been very happy with it. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:02:55 AM EST
I did this same comparison before buying a pair of SLR-105s. The Veper is an excellent firearm, but too heavy and I didn't like the balance as much. Also, with the stacks of aftermarket parts out there, there are more options for an SLR over the Veper. I also didn't like the look of the Veper much, but if you like it then it may be worth it to you. Either one will be a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:05:18 PM EST
As others have said, the VEPR is 2 pounds heavier....that may not sound like much, but you WILL feel it. It really is a lot of extra weight. That said, VEPRs are nice weapons, though I really prefer the the more "traditional" AK look.

My vote goes to the SLR-105. Really couldn't be more pleased with mine. Now if I could only find some ammo.........
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:29:56 PM EST
I would take the SLR-105. I like the AK look, plus it's an Arsenal which are top notch...
Top Top