Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 2:30:57 PM EDT
My next AK purchase is coming up and I have decided to spent more dough and pick up a top shelf AK. I am intersested in the arsenal SA M-7R and the Vepr-k. I plan to put a optic(probably Kobra) on this AK(my norinco and Maadi have mojos) and I am mostly concerned with accuracy. I like the arsenal's looks(read plain Ak) but have heard vepr's are more accurate generally. The caliber will be 7.62 and a 16 or 16.5 barrel. I want to get some experts opinions on which would be the better set up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you looking for accuracy theres only one way to go...............And it starts with a V
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard VEPR's have superior accuracy over garden AK's, but my Arsenal Sammies shoot impeccably.  Never have seen the inside of a VEPR to know how they differ in design, if much.  The SA-M7R has a scope raile platform on the receiver, so the scope capability is there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I ain't saying a word ...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no expert but here's my thoughts

The real question is what will you be using it for? Do you want an AK for all types of civilian shooting or for SHTF? Don't let the word civilian scare you away either. The VEPR is a bit heavy for an assault rifle. It's in the .308, 30-06 battle rifle weight range. The accuracy difference will really start to show the further out you shoot.  The Arsenal is lighter and faster and better suited for carrying around all day and shooting bad guys.

It sounds to me that you want a shooter so looks shouldn't be too important in your decision.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
im all about the Arsenal's,....

however,..

i would suggest that you get your hands on both if possible and try them for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I love ARsenal, EXCEPT, the finish fell off my gas tube on one of my rifles.  Their paint SUCKS!  The "V" rifles are just ugly to me as is, no offense intended to the Georgia Mafia.  MV out!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love ARsenal, EXCEPT, the finish fell off my gas tube on one of my rifles.  Their paint SUCKS!  The "V" rifles are just ugly to me as is, no offense intended to the Georgia Mafia.  MV out!

+1

the finish comes off my SLR-105R like the plastic on a barbi doll in an oven
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I love these threads!!!!!
Get up ole VEPR!!! get up!!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Man, I ain't saying a word ...

Me either brother!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Either one would be an excellent choice.  There.  That settles it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've heard VEPR's have superior accuracy over garden AK's, but my Arsenal Sammies shoot impeccably.  Never have seen the inside of a VEPR to know how they differ in design, if much.  The SA-M7R has a scope raile platform on the receiver, so the scope capability is there.

PSST....The VEPRs come with scope rails too and theydont even have the be a VEPR K"R". They all have them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a VEPR K and a Arsenal SLR101  (pistol grip hicap with scope rail) While the Arsenal appears much closer to a traditional AK and is a very nicely built gun, if I was limited to only one AK it would be the VEPR it is noticably more accurate from the bags, and has the better trigger of the two. That said either will serve you very well
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Vepr.  Don't let the extra weight be a deal buster.  It's a more stable platform.  I used to carry an M40A3, right at 16 pounds.  You get used to it and it builds manly arms.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no comparison-the VEPR rules!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is no comparison-the VEPR rules!!i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/pieceofstink/MVC-158S.jpg

That's a beautiful gun you got there Stink!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
im all about the Arsenal's,....

however,..

i would suggest that you get your hands on both if possible and try them for yourself.

That's a very wise suggestion. Handle both, and if possible shoot both. IMO the Vepr is the better shooter AND looks better. You may not like the way it looks if you're an old fart a traditionalist. Both are great guns, and it really comes down to personal preference. If I were to buy a tradition looking AK, the Arsenals would be my first pick. (Can't believe I just said that.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never handled a VEPR, but I've handled many other AK's and I own an SLR-101. I love it and from all the AK's I have handled they get my vote!
They are top notch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I am suprised a how many people swear by veprs. I was leaning arsenal but now I don't know. Does anyone have a pic of a vepr with a Kobra? What is the actual weight difference? I figured it to be around a pound. Thanks for the info and opinions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am suprised a how many people swear by veprs. I was leaning arsenal but now I don't know. Does anyone have a pic of a vepr with a Kobra? What is the actual weight difference? I figured it to be around a pound. Thanks for the info and opinions.

I would say somewhere around 1 and 1/2 pound difference between a stamped Arsenal and a Vepr. Remember the Vepr uses an RPK receiver. I held an Arsenal underfolder the other day at my local gun shop, and it was very light (and sweet). I like the weight of the Vepr. I can say this, everyone I know of who has actually owned and shot a Vepr becomes a believer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Did any of you guys get the VEPR with the birdcage flash hider?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Did any of you guys get the VEPR with the birdcage flash hider?

I would like to know too, I was thinking of trying one on my .308.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
How much does the VEPR K weigh?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Both nice weapons. I own a Vepr and my next AK will be an Arsenal SAS M7.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
May I suggest, if possible, that you find a friend who has both a Vepr and an Arsenal and put in some trigger time behind both and then make your decision.  I was facing a similar decision myself several months ago. I have a friend that did have both a Vepr and an Arsenal, but due to a miscommunication I found they were both chambered in 5.45. This turned out to be a VERY pleasant surprise. The SLR 105 and the Vepr were BOTH pretty accurate, with a slight edge going to the Vepr.  I could gong steel at 500 meters off a bench with both rifles. I had fired another firiends 7.62 SA85 and trying to hit steel with it at 500 meters reminded me of trying to lob a mortor round. What sold me on the Arsenal SLR 105 was its relative lightness.  The Vepr just seemed to be too heavy to me for quick movement from target to target when shooting off hand and the SLR 105 had better balance.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Well after much thinking I went shopping today. I got my hands on a milled arsenal and decied it was coming home(after the freaking waiting period). It is an SLR with a brake without a bayo lug and cleaning rod. For 450otd the door I couldn't pass it up. I figure I will use the price difference between it and the sam-7 to buy the kobra. I think a kobra for a bayo lug is a decent trade. I think if the vepr wasn't nose heavy I would have bought one. Anyway wohooo
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#29]
wise decision, let us know how it is after a trip to the range
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I plan to pick it up thurs but I will not be getting any trigger time this weekend because I will be staying in st louis doing 4 job interviews friday and sat. Hopefully I will get to hit the range before the month is out. hug.gif
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top