Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 9:05:14 AM EDT
I have been trying to build an AMD65 variant for a while now and I finally got my 1.6mm receiver from FAC (www.gunsnstuff.net).  I didn't thing it would be a problem.  I was wrong.  I wish I would have bought a 1.0mm receiver.  If I had a "normal" receiver then this build would have gone so much easier.  

I modified the front and rear trunnions, modified the selector, and modified the handguard to fit this piece of crap.  Now my barrel trunnion seems to be slightly left of center when the barrel assembly is placed in the receiver.  

WARNING:  If you want to have an easy time building your kit DON'T use a 1.6mm receiver.

Rant mode off...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Dave raises his hand: Why go to a thicker receiver? What's the problem with them? Is it poor lay-out, off center holes? TIA
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll chime in here too with the 1.6 mm Coldsteel receivers.  Good quality, no trimming the trunions, very strong, but would be much much easier to build on a 1.0 mm receiver.  Not ranting, just saying a 1.0 mm build requires many less modifications to get it to work.  With a thick receiver you gotta worry about trigger and hammer pins, selector lever, and magazine catch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been saying that since the day they came out.

No way are they worth all the extra work and aggravation.

If 1mm was good enough for Mikhail, it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Boatload of FEG receivers coming soon.................

please tell me your not joking
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
More details would be great.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That would be nice, I just hate these out of spec look alike "receivers" made State side.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Milled receivers may very well have more durability, but the fact that they are incompatible with ~85% of the parts out there... Not worth it.

Also, why the hell make a milled AK receiver when the stamped receiver is already a reliable platform?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Milled receivers may very well have more durability, but the fact that they are incompatible with ~85% of the parts out there... Not worth it.

Also, why the hell make a milled AK receiver when the stamped receiver is already a reliable platform?

The 1.6mm Arsenal USA receiver "IS" a stamped steel receiver, not a milled receiver. You probably have the Arsenal USA firm (which is not associated with the Arsenal of Bulgaria company) confused with the Arsenal Inc firm (which is associated with the Arsenal of Bulgaria company, and is even licensed by them). The Arsenal Inc firm does make Bulgarian licensed milled AK receivers, but only uses them in their complete builds, and therefore does not offer them as stand alone items.  

The problem the folks above have with the 1.6mm thick stamped steel receiver offered by the Arsenal USA company, is that it's not an exact copy of a foreign designed AKM. Instead, it's their own in house design that was drawn up by Ivan Kolev (a former designer for the Arsenal of Bulgaria firm). The differences in the Arsenal USA 1.6mm receiver design, requires one to perform extra work on a standard AKM parts kit to make it compatible to the receiver .

Hope this did not confuse you even more

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The differences in the Arsenal USA 1.6mm receiver design, requires one to perform extra work on a standard AKM parts kit to make it compatible to the receiver .

Sound like a great idea!  I'm gonna copy them and start an entire business plan based on making slightly out of spec copies of well designed firearms products.  I'm going to start by making AK mags that are .6mm too wide to fit in a magwell.  Then I'll start making scope mounts with a rail that's 4.8mm too short to fit on a standard rail.  OK, don't all you guys slam my inbox at once, there will be product for all of you!

I've bought lots of stuff from GT, but this is just a wacky idea, regardless of who dreamed it up.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I have made three builds with the AKUSA receivers, two 47s and one 74. I am just finishing up the 74, riveted the front trunion and pressed the barrel in today. I should be able to rivet the rear trunion and install the stock tomorrow. Hopefully will be shooting it this weekend.

I have not built on a standard receiver so I can't compare the differances between the two. I can see were it might be easier for the average person to use a standard receiver as they do require more work. I had a friend use a mill for the front trunions and the rear trunion on the 65 and they turned out pretty good. I had a problem with the rear trunions by using a floor mount belt sander to thin them. Not recommended as it is hard to get them even and I took too much off the 74 rear and had to use a new one. I filed the trunion the second time and checked to make sure the dimensions were correct.

I put about 600 rounds thru the Polish build and the only trouble I had was it doubled a couple times with the G2 trigger so I filed the disconneter a little on the bottom and it has run just fine since.

I have about 170 rounds thru the 65 and it short stroked a couple of times during the first two mags and a case stuck between the bolt carrier and the receiver. The gas tube is canted a little and I don't think it is binding but with the shorter barrel on the 65 maybe it is more critical. I will shoot it some more and see it does it again before I drill out the pins and realign it.

The 74 receiver  needed some fine tuning on the top rails as the bolt carrier was binding but works ok now. I only complaint I have with this one is they didn't put the notches for the selector lever in the side, why I don't know but should be able to add them.

These receivers may not be for everyone but I am satisfied with the ones I have built. YMMV

P.S. I thought that foreign receivers were banned from importation maybe somebody can straighten me out on this issue.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ohhh please tell me your joking... My check book can't handle this....

More info... I thought the ATF blocked this sort of thing???
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhh please tell me your joking... My check book can't handle this....

More info... I thought the ATF blocked this sort of thing???

If this is true, I will be putting off my AK74 builds until then.  I have a FEG AK47 receiver for a PMKMS build that I will be starting soon now that my workshop is almost finished.  A picture will be forthcoming of the "Mother Of All Workbenches".
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
CAMPYBOB,

The barrel is just slightly to the left because I had to mill the front trunnion on both sides and dremel the rails on the trunnion.  I just can't get it to stay even.  Maybe when I use my screws to put the trunnion in there permanently it will straighten out.  It is hardly noticable but when you put the rifle up on your shoulder you can tell that you have to move your head slightly to the right to get the correct sight picture.

I just hope I didn't ruin my TAPCO AMD65 kit.  I think this problem can be corrected with time and more dremeling.  I will try to post pictures soon.  Any help or useful suggestions would be appreciated.  

1.6mm = PAIN IN THE A$$
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh and CAMPYBOB.  I think that the main problem with the receiver shell is that it is too thick.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one of these 1.6mm receivers.  In the instructions, it says what to do.  It also says that Global Trades will do the trunion mods for something like 12 bucks?  Sounds like a bargain to me.  I'm looking forward to doing an AMD 63 build with mine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I've heard it will be a multi cal. FEG shell with long ejector but with a 10 rd. mag well opening. It will also have the mag dimples. It would have to meet 922r to open up the mag hole to hi-cap. That's the same thing Century is doing with the WASRS 10s.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have one of these 1.6mm receivers.  In the instructions, it says what to do.  It also says that Global Trades will do the trunion mods for something like 12 bucks?  Sounds like a bargain to me.  I'm looking forward to doing an AMD 63 build with mine.

X 2 trunnions = $24 plus the cost of longer axis pins.
Then modify the selector to fit (hopefully) and still end up with a crappy fitting top cover.

Another consideration would be the fit between the front trunnion and receiver.
The upper rail pretty much locates the trunnion, there is very little groove for the rails to fit into to begin with, now you are going to remove some of groove by machining, plus how do you fit the 1.6mm rail into a groove designed to accept 1mm.
I can only think of three ways, open up the groove, thin out the upper rails or remove them completely, and hope the barrel is correctly orientated.

I would also assume the selector stop would require re-working, more unnecessary modifications.
All for what, a extra .6mm, that is unnecessary to begin with?

I'm not trying to say that all the problems associated with the 1.6mm receiver can't be overcome, of course they can.
But it just keeps coming down to one thing in my mind, Why bother?

Somebody give me enough pros to overcome all these cons. and maybe I'll see the light, but I can't think of even one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Im glad I didn't buy them!!! Whew!

I still have 3 Ohio Ordinance receivers to build on.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then modify the selector to fit (hopefully) and still end up with a crappy fitting top cover.

Axis pins should be a non issue, as the extra .6mm is on the INSIDE of the receiver.  The instructions specifically state:

"Note that the extra thickness of the metal ends up on the INSIDE of the receiver -- the outside dimensions are the same as a standard receiver.  This is important, since the axis pins for the trigger group would not be long enough if the extra metal was on the outside.  With this in mind, here are the modifications you need to make:..."

Also, would the top cover fit badly if the outside dimensions of the receiver are the same as a 1mm thick receiver?  I know on my SAR-1, the topcover fits OUTSIDE, not inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Please don't take my posts the wrong way.
I'm not in any way, shape or form aiming at you personally, I wish you nothing but success with your build.

I just can not understand the thinking behind Global's decision to use 1.6mm over 1mm.
And I really hate hearing horror storys like AR-poor's.

He, in all likelihood, has ruined a perfectly good trunnion, trying to make it fit this receiver.
Sure, He can get another one, but there goes his all matching numbers kit, opening the door for head spacing problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Please don't take my posts the wrong way.
I'm not in any way, shape or form aiming at you personally, I wish you nothing but success with your build.

I just can not understand the thinking behind Global's decision to use 1.6mm over 1mm.
And I really hate hearing horror storys like AR-poor's.

He, in all likelihood, has ruined a perfectly good trunnion, trying to make it fit this receiver.
Sure, He can get another one, but there goes his all matching numbers kit, opening the door for head spacing problems.

Oh, it'd take more than what you've said here to get me riled up.  I'm easy!  

Truth be told, I only got one of these receivers because it was right there, and on sale.  Heh.  Impulse buy!  I didn't know that 1.6mm was not the standard thickness for AK receivers.  And I wish AR-Poor the best of luck with his receiver build too.  You just watch though.  I'll have just as many problems, and probably bitch about it here too.    

So don't worry.  No offense taken!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
AK74 BULGARIAN KIT Built by TROY SELLARS at IN RANGE 4500 Rounds  shot .......OHIO ORDNANCE Receiver NO DEFECTS!!!!!! No abnormal wear!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID???????
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]
AK74 BULGARIAN KIT Built by TROY SELLARS at IN RANGE 4500 Rounds  shot .......OHIO ORDNANCE Receiver NO DEFECTS!!!!!! No abnormal wear!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID???????
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Another consideration would be the fit between the front trunnion and receiver.
The upper rail pretty much locates the trunnion, there is very little groove for the rails to fit into to begin with, now you are going to remove some of groove by machining, plus how do you fit the 1.6mm rail into a groove designed to accept 1mm.
I can only think of three ways, open up the groove, thin out the upper rails or remove them completely, and hope the barrel is correctly orientated

I would also assume the selector stop would require re-working, more unnecessary modifications.
All for what, a extra .6mm, that is unnecessary to begin with?

Standard trigger pins fit just fine as does the top cover. The selector must be widened were it goes thru the receiver, five minutes with a Dremel, not a big deal.

The top rail were it goes thru the trunion does have to be thinned to go into the 1 mm slot in the trunion. Not real simple but in the scope of building a AK it rates a four on a scale of 10 for difficultly.

The milling of the trunions is the biggest drawback for a builder without access to a mill.

The slector stops on my builds have been ok, two used and one new that I filed a groove for the mag catch, two work fine and the other strips rounds out of several mags I have. I hope for a test fire this weekend. I think AKUSA has located the rails inside in relation to the bottom to compensate for the thicker receiver
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
FEG!  Hell Yah!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top