Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:01:09 AM EDT
I have 2 stamped receiver AKs that never jam.  I can use good mags, old mags, damaged mags etc..... and they just keep going and going.

Lately I have been thinking about purchasing a milled receiver SLR-101 or maybe a SAM-7.
I have noticed that they are a lot better looking than my other AKs and they are a lot tighter.
Because of the tighter tolerances I was wondering,

are the milled receiver SLR-101s and SAM-7 as reliable as the stamped receiver types?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
milled receiver was the ORIGINAL receiver.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
"YES"

Glad to hear that.

I ask because I have an old WW2 .45 (1911 A1) that is "loose".  The accuracy is poor past 10 yards, but it will shoot every type of ammo available with no malfunctions.

Then I purchased a new Sprigfield Armory fully loaded 1911 A1.  This gun was smooth and tight.  The accuracy was pretty good out to 25 yards.  The problem was it has falure to feeds with several types of ammo.  After a little polishing and another 300 rounds of ammo, its pretty reliable.

So I was wondering if a new milled receiver AK would also require a little polishing and a case of ammo to "break her in".
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Like most people you're confusing "tolerances" for "fit".

Tolerances are part-to-part deviation from a design ideal dimension.

Fit is the amount of clearance between mating parts.

While milled AK's might have tighter "tolerances", no AK ever made could be accused of being too tight.

If anything they should be more reliable. Remember the antibounce device was added when the change was made to the stamped receiver. Semi-only guns don't need it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.

Now its time to track down a good price on one.
(on line of-course)  The gun stores in my area are waaaay over priced.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top