Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 9:00:47 PM EDT
I noticed that Freedom Optics carries this optic, yet I've never read about it before.  It's a little more expensive than the Kobra series.  Anyone put this thing through its paces?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen these on the net before, don't know if they're any good. Looks like a good copy of an Aimpoint to me. I found my Kobra to be nearly bombproof as is, if this optic is as sturdy as the other Ruskie optics I think you can't fall a bump on it...

219 dollars still beats the SRP of an Aimpoint comp-ml. But I went for the ultimak/aimpoint combo because I know Aimpoints rep for good reddot optics, even though I must admit I was suprised of the quality of a EKP-8-2 Kobra
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Listen up!  I admit, I'm biased, but this sight simply kicks ass, so to speak.  You will not be disappointed, period.

Let me just post the following link to a relevant discussion -- there is a comment from Tantal as well as from a recent buyer:  www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142333

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you confirm how the reticle adjusts for parallax/different viewing angles compared to the Kobra? How precise does your eye need to be behind the dot to see the true point of aim?

Works with/without battery, narrow slice out of the field of view, fully enclosed so the light is not blocked out by muck on the emitter, and a ring around the dot for quick improv windage/elevation/ranging adjustments like the Trijicon 'donut of death', cool!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say it is virtually parallax-free.  As far as I can tell, the POA does not switch at all as a result of changing the position of the eye in relation to the sight, except when it is at the very edge of the field of view.  You obviously do have to "look through" the sight, as is the case with any "close type" red dot sights.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a few comments on Tantal's notes

Finding a Western red dot with a 1-1.5 MOA dot will cost you in excess of $400.

Uhh how about an EO Tech 510 for $300?

This red dot is set up to outperform the iron sights day or night at all effective ranges capable by the rifle. The small dot will shrink your shot groups by a remarkable margin.

That is fine if the rifle is a 'target' gun, but the AK is not a 'match' rifle.  Most people don't need the increase in accuracy - but in shooting speed and 1 - 1.5 moa dots are SLOW.  Which is why the Aimpoints have the 4 moa dot, the Trijicons the 6moa Donut of Death, and the EO Tech the 65 moa CQB ring.  Small dots are just too hard to pick up when the action is fast & furious.

If they would just increase the size of the dot (or use a triangle reticle like Trijicon learned to do) then it would really rock!

But darn for the price its hard to argue..
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks as though me, Campy, and other lefties are left out on this one.  head.gif
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it's mounted to the left of the centerfire line, even more so than a POSP scope.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess i'll have to get a Kobra instead...
Any word on those?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Still hoping to get the Kobra sights back in stock by the end of the month, but it may slip by a few days.

If you'd like to get the heads up on the Kobra availability, please e-mail me at [email protected]

truly yours, Yuri
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've got a few comments on Tantal's notes

Finding a Western red dot with a 1-1.5 MOA dot will cost you in excess of $400.

Uhh how about an EO Tech 510 for $300?

This red dot is set up to outperform the iron sights day or night at all effective ranges capable by the rifle. The small dot will shrink your shot groups by a remarkable margin.

That is fine if the rifle is a 'target' gun, but the AK is not a 'match' rifle.  Most people don't need the increase in accuracy - but in shooting speed and 1 - 1.5 moa dots are SLOW.  Which is why the Aimpoints have the 4 moa dot, the Trijicons the 6moa Donut of Death, and the EO Tech the 65 moa CQB ring.  Small dots are just too hard to pick up when the action is fast & furious.

If they would just increase the size of the dot (or use a triangle reticle like Trijicon learned to do) then it would really rock!

But darn for the price its hard to argue..

I thought the PK-SO1 had a larger oval or circle outside the 1.5 moa dot?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one - just mounted on my SAR-1 - love it!  It has an oval around the smaller dot - I love the fact that it will work with or without batteries.   I have no hesitation to recommend it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top