Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 5:05:07 PM EDT
Hello all,

I'm looking to get my OOW '74 receiver back from hardening at AK-USA soon. I'm wondering what you guys have experienced in building on hardened receivers . . .

I'm especially concerned about punching the sheet metal down into the countersinks in the trunion. According to several posts that I have seen on this board, this is not possible with hardened receivers. If so, how are Randy @ Independence Arms or Chris @AK-USA riveting their AK's?

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I would LOVE to hear from Randy or Chris

Disconnector
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm especially concerned about punching the sheet metal down into the countersinks in the trunion. According to several posts that I have seen on this board, this is not possible with hardened receivers. If so, how are Randy @ Independence Arms or Chris @AK-USA riveting their AK's?

It's all in the hammer.  If yours is big enough, it will be no problem.  Size does matter.

Make sure you have a BFH.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that the BFH hammer method was splitting the metal around the holes when countersinking hardened receivers.
And for that reason, just spot hardening the axis holes was a better option.

Doesn't the OOW come already spot hardened?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably not hardened correctly, or more accurately, not tempered correctly.  There is no reason why rivets would not work properly if the receiver is within spec as far as hardness.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
All commie receivers are built in with hardened receivers, so it should certainly be doable.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
<Make sure you have a BFH>

LOL . . . does a 20 ton press count?  

You're probably right about incorrect tempering.  I'll let you guys know what I find out when I call Chris.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Spoke to Chris at AK-USA and he said that if the receivers are PROPERLY hardened, then the metal should countersink when the rivets are installed with no problems.

RC 36-38 isn't really that hard, he said.  Any cracking is the fault of improper heat-treating.

So, it looks like this is a non-issue . . . thank goodness :)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top