Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:22:02 PM EDT
Hey folks. Getting an SLR-105 soon and just wondering if decent quality replacement barrels are relatively easy to find. I know K-var sells them, I've seen Romie and Bulgie ones. Currently the Bulgarian barrels are out of stock and I would be somewhat hesitant to buy Romanian products....perhaps their barrels are better than some of their other exports. Anyway, it will be a while before I need a new barrel, but just wondering if availability will be a pain or not when the time comes. Thx.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is info on the barrel diameters between the Bulgarian and Romanian AK-74 barrels.

www.aa-ok.com/AK_Tech/aktechinfo.htm

The chamber and FSB diameters are different. I'd use a Bulgarian barrel for my SLR-105.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
come on guys, somebody must know: Is availability a pain with replacement barrels? When the time comes will I be waiting for months for one to arrive from Bulgaria, or are there plenty floating around? Thx
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
how is that? With an AR every 10,000-15,000 rounds you should replace them, around the same for a FAL. So I assume AK barrels suffer from similar wear. But I'm a noob,I admit.....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how is that? With an AR every 10,000-15,000 rounds you should replace them, around the same for a FAL. So I assume AK barrels suffer from similar wear. But I'm a noob,I admit.....

Welcome to the world of the AK.

The barrels (with some rare exceptions) are typically chrome-lined. As long as it is cleaned regularly, and it isn't heavily abused, it will probably out-live you.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i think ak's are rated around 30-50k right?  Atleast I've read that here before.  I think it came from russian use to failure spec...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i think ak's are rated around 30-50k right?  Atleast I've read that here before.  I think it came from russian use to failure spec...

I read that was number of rounds before a parts failure in the AK-74's.

I read someone's post here, before about emailing Izhmash and they said 80k-100k rounds, before they considered one to be worn out.

I remember another post about a Bulgarian AK having 300k rounds fired through it.

These are just from memory though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well.......coming from the FAL world I clearly missed something. I know all about the reliability of the AK, but didn't know that the barrels would go that long. 80k-100k? Wow....I think that answers my question. I'm going to guess I won't need a replacement barrel...you know..for awhile. Thank you for educating this clearly misguided noob.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top