Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2002 2:18:09 PM EDT
I know that SAR-1s are not known for their accuracy, but is it normal for a 14.5" SAR-1 to get 6+" groups at 50 yards?  That just seems awfully danged innacurate.  I'm using Brown Bear ammo (like Wolf except bullets are steel jacketed with a coating of copper), so that could be hurting accuracy somewhat, but with my AR I can get 5" groups at 100 yards with Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My SAR-1 went from a vertical rectangular groups of 20"x10" at 100 yards to roughly 10" round groups at 200 yards after about 200 rounds. Remember that some AK's (SAR's in particular) weren't produced for target work, so the barrel needs to be broken in. When I say broken in I don't mean in a match rifle sence with cleaning in between rounds. You prpbable just need to bust some caps to settle the barrel down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot about 6"-8" with a friends SAR1 at 100yds.From what Ive read and seen thats normal for MOST  ak's (7.62) .Im sure there are some out there that will shoot small groups .But only on the internet will you find every other AK that will shoot 1 MOA.Ive never seen one shoot that on the range. But Im really getting hooked on these type rifles.War Dawg
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had 6 out of 10 shots at a 1x3 inch piece of tape at 100 yards while I was messing around one day.  If it were a full 3 inch cirle I would have had them all in the circle.  I was usinf surplus ammo from Bosnia.

I guess it's true, aim small, miss small.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
0.25 MOA, 600 yards offhand, no rest. I use North Korean "Pimpin Kim" 123 grain steel core special rounds. For extreme accuracy, I prefer to use a Chinese SKS with a PSO-1 "V" welded to the receiver by Hesse Arms. I can get 0.1 MOA without even thinking about it.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Traded my SAR1 to help fund my Bulgie 74 kit project, but....... when I did have it it would shoot 3" groups at 25m, from there they would open up pretty good to where at 100m I could get at least hits on a man sized target, nothing resembling groups, but hits. I'm hoping the Bulgie 74 with the 5.45 ammo will get better results. What was that saying..."Spray, pray then run away!"
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know that SAR-1s are not known for their accuracy, but is it normal for a 14.5" SAR-1 to get 6+" groups at 50 yards?  That just seems awfully danged innacurate.  I'm using Brown Bear ammo (like Wolf except bullets are steel jacketed with a coating of copper), so that could be hurting accuracy somewhat, but with my AR I can get 5" groups at 100 yards with Wolf.

What I'm curious about is why you have cut one and a half inches off the end of your barrel.  I suspect that has caused your problems.  Also you now have an illegal rifle, unless you have either welded a muzzle brake to the end of it, or you have paid the tax stamp.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it is 16".  No information on this particular gun came with it, so I just measured it with a ruler.  If I include the chamber and everything it is 16".  Does the measurement include the chamber?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I beleive the action must be closed.  The easiest way it fo close the bolt, measure off 16 inches on your cleaning rod and insert it down your muzzle.  If the mark doesn't end up at the end of the barrel, look into getting a new barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Using the mag as monopod, I can get 3-4" steady groups of 5 at 100yds. But my trigger is crisper than stock, and I sifted thru many boxes of ammo to find what each AK likes. What makes my SAR1 happy is 6" in the Norinco, and vice versa.
Groups twice the size of an AR are normal for the 7.62x39 AK, so your groups may not be as out of line as you first think. A little .22 3 position league has done wonders for my skills.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top