Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:49:35 PM EDT
Anyone know if the quality is about the same?

thank you

Richard
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My tapco AMD kit is in awesome shape. I recommend them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Both kits are nice. I prefer Centerfire because of thier customer service.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'v bought from both, and I think the centerfire kit is handsdown better. The tapco kits all had to be refinished, but the center fire kit did not, in fact, it was real nice. The c.f. kit also came with a 5 mag cell pouch w/shoulder strap, leather sling, cleaning kit and oil bottles. The kit is so nice, I'm thinking of having it blued, and putting on an ironwood designs walnut stock kit. I won't buy any more amd kits from tapco, unless they'r just the only kits around.

OJF
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
From the centerfiresystems.com site:

The barrels in this kit may not be used to assemble new firearms that would be prohibited from importation Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 925 (d)

So I can't purchase the kit and a complete reciever and put them together? Please somebody explain.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think what they mean by that is that you will need to observe the ten-imported-part rule when building with this kit. I'm not a lawyer though...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always been treated fairly by Center Fire.  I've been fucked royal once by Buddy at Tapco. He will never get the chance to do it again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe a little confusing. What I was trying to say is that the finish of the c.f. kit was nice, both the oxide finish and the metal finish. The metal finish was nice enough that I began contemplating having it blued. There are no scratches, dings, dents, or marks of any kind on the c.f. kit, making it ideal for blueing. The tapco kits all had scratches, dings, dents, and hardly any finish on them, plus small amounts of rust. all of them had to be bead blasted and reparked. bead blasting and reparking does not get rid of dings and dents, sometimes not even scratches. I generally use Vulcan built receivers that are already parked. I generally do not even consider wheather or not to match the finish between a receiver and the rest of the rifle.

OJF
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a few 63 kits from CF.  They all look nearly new, little if any finish wear on the metal.  The only wear is on the wood grips, they are dinged from storage.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I like buying from both companies.  I purchased 4 AMD-63 kits from centerfire and   4 AMD65 kits from Tapco.  All kits from both companies were as new and customer service equally excellent!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
From the centerfiresystems.com site:

The barrels in this kit may not be used to assemble new firearms that would be prohibited from importation Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 925 (d)

So I can't purchase the kit and a complete reciever and put them together? Please somebody explain.

The way I understand it, the importer of the kit cannot legally make it into a new firearm.  But you can if you add US made parts to bring the imported parts count down to 10 or less.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top