Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 9:09:04 AM EDT
CNN story today about an arrest involving 40 AK style pistols bound for Mexico. Apparently the Mexican drug cartel's favortite guns are tec 9s and AK pistols... The crazy part of the story is that a US town Mayor and Police Chief were busted in the smuggling ring...

AK Pistols in the news

"An 84-count indictment accuses the 11 of being what authorities describe as a gun-trafficking ring. The ring bought guns "favored by the Mexican cartels," such as American tactical 9 mm pistols and the so-called "AK-47 pistols," which are weapons resembling AK-47 rifles but with shorter barrels and without rear stocks, U.S. Attorney Kenneth J. Gonzales of New Mexico told CNN.... During the investigation, law officers also seized 40 AK-47-type pistols, 1,580 rounds of 7.62 ammunition, and 30 high-capacity magazines from the defendants before they crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, authorities said."

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
And we're surprised because?  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
What law won't allow US citizens to sell legal items across the border?  I'm ignorant here, but why does the US attorney's office care about the guns leaving the US?  Smuggling into the US I can understand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What law won't allow US citizens to sell legal items across the border?  I'm ignorant here, but why does the US attorney's office care about the guns leaving the US?  Smuggling into the US I can understand.

I agree with you that the US should only be concerned with what enters the country, not leaves it. Years ago I lived in Canada, near the US border. So when we drove to the US we were inspected by US Customs going into the US, but never by Canadian Customs to leave Canada. Also driving back to Canada, we were inspected by Canadian Customs entering Canada, but never by US Customs to leave the US. Well one day when I left Canada to come to the US, & was being inspected by US Customs at the border, I noticed that US Customs had set up a roadblock just south of the Canadian border, still in NY State. They had a couple of dogs sniffing the cars leaving the US looking for drugs, but mostly for currency. They told me from time to time they did this, & it was legal. I only ever saw that once. I guess in the case of these guns, they were bought for the purpose of smuggling them into Mexico, which was illegal. While the perps paid $400 per gun in the US, they could have been worth $1000 each delivered in Mexico.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Guns flowing out can be used in a foreign civil war or for crime abroad, which really is the least of our concerns, particularly these days. However, an example like sending guns to the IRA when the UK is our friend creates serious political reasons to stop the flow of weapons out that will be used against allies.

Guns flowing out can also be used by an enemy against our troops, citizens, or interests abroad. Not very likely because AK's and all other weapons are readily available to most of our enemies everywhere. Still, imagine if someone knowingly sent weapons from this counrty to an active or imminent enemy. In reality, if we could swap out all our enemy combatants' full auto combat weapons with 922r compliant semi autos, that would be a good thing...

Mexico is a bit problematic for several reasons. As is often the case, these guns are involed in a triangle of money, guns, and drugs. So the flow of guns to a drug producing or conduit country/group will also invlove drug flow back in and large amounts of money going in both directions. The money the feds want to know about for tax purposes. The guns the feds want to stop because they are being used by producers and smugglers, making law enforcement in those countries less able to combat the production and flow of drugs back to this country. Add to the fact that the country is on our border, many of  the guns will inevitably be used in crimes on both sides. It becomes a legit national security issue. Those same guns will be in the hands of smugglers of drugs and people who will not be happy to see border patrol or other US LE while moving back and forth. Also, when they bust the people on this side sending the weapons out, they get more information about all participants in the triangle, which leads to illegal drugs and money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

maybe because they might be used on are border patrol or law enforcement.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You don't get out much huh?

Project Gunrunner

AECA

ITAR
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guns flowing out can be used in a foreign civil war or for crime abroad, which really is the least of our concerns, particularly these days. However, an example like sending guns to the IRA when the UK is our friend creates serious political reasons to stop the flow of weapons out that will be used against allies.

Guns flowing out can also be used by an enemy against our troops, citizens, or interests abroad. Not very likely because AK's and all other weapons are readily available to most of our enemies everywhere. Still, imagine if someone knowingly sent weapons from this counrty to an active or imminent enemy. In reality, if we could swap out all our enemy combatants' full auto combat weapons with 922r compliant semi autos, that would be a good thing...

Mexico is a bit problematic for several reasons. As is often the case, these guns are involed in a triangle of money, guns, and drugs. So the flow of guns to a drug producing or conduit country/group will also invlove drug flow back in and large amounts of money going in both directions. The money the feds want to know about for tax purposes. The guns the feds want to stop because they are being used by producers and smugglers, making law enforcement in those countries less able to combat the production and flow of drugs back to this country. Add to the fact that the country is on our border, many of  the guns will inevitably be used in crimes on both sides. It becomes a legit national security issue. Those same guns will be in the hands of smugglers of drugs and people who will not be happy to see border patrol or other US LE while moving back and forth. Also, when they bust the people on this side sending the weapons out, they get more information about all participants in the triangle, which leads to illegal drugs and money.

great points, I agree.  

Its good to see corrupt officials busted, it proves a point for law abiding citizens.

v
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top