Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 11:57:15 AM EDT
Question.  All I want to do is practice sending some rounds downrange.  At some point I might like to change the stock or even take it hunting.  Probably never will mount a scope.

Reliability a plus - but pretty much so long as it's not gonna outright BREAK on me I'm happy.

High capacity mags are not a concern, actually I don't really want them.  Pain in the butt on the shooting bench.

Is there any reason to down the extra $200 or so for an AK vs an SKS?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
For around $150-$175 you can still get a new condition Yugo SKS.  The quality on them are great, they are reliable, accurate and they would make a good hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No mags to keep track of for the sks either, plus if needed the sks reloads real fast off stripper clips.  If I had no interest in >10 capacity, I'd go SKS.  Some of them are really nice, good machining work and nice blueing.  Try to find a Russian model.  Plus I always loved that shiney silver exposed bolt carrier.  Can't go wrong either way though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to get the gun listed here:
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_M59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html
Perhaps in one of the 'select' grades.

And fit it to the stock listed here:
www.combatstocks.com/itemDetail.cfm?id=23

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture?  COULD I still (in theory) put a scope mount on the weapon?

ED-made links hot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
By your descritption, the SKS wouyld be the better choice.  The SKS is a little more accurate any way, and lends itself to hunting much better.

There are scope mounts for the Yugo SKS.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The sks would be the best weapon by your criteria.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And fit it to the stock listed here:
http://www.combatstocks.com/itemDetail.cfm?id=23

FYI I have one of those stocks for sale - used very little.  Missing the plastic upper cover (I used a ventilated metal one instead).

$20 plus shipping and its yours.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
the only thing not yet considered is a possible ban on the ak.  sks's will always (well, for a good while) be available for about the price asked for right now.

if a more restrictive awb passes, ak's could be outlawed completely.  then the $200 you save getting an ak w/ synth stock will seem trivial as they grow in value.

btw, you're planning on spending ~175 for the rifle (like new grade + transfer fee, if you don't have a c&r) and ~50 for the stock.  that's 225.  $75 more, not $200, and you got a sar-1.

edited for values
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago, I would have said without a doubt to save the money and go with the SKS. I have changed my mind. Years ago you could pick up a brand new Chinese SKS for $79 out the door, they have at least doubled in price since then, AK's are only a bit more expensive, back in the early nintes you could get a brand new MAK90 for about $210. The SKS is a great rifle, I have some, including two SKS-M models with the factory AK mag conversion that I paid well under two hundred bucks for each, back when I bought those (I already had a couple regular SKS rifles) I had no interest in owning an AK, and could not im imagine paying that much for one. Ever since I bought my first AK the SKS's have been sitting in the safe unused, I still like them but they just don't stack up well to an AK when it comes time to take something out to shoot. You mentioned hunting, the AK does have a shorter barrel than the SKS, but even if you had a three foot long barrel the cartridge they fire just won't cut it much past 150yds, at that range the AK will shoot as well or better than the SKS. Plus if you change your mind and decide you do want a scope, a SAR-1 is already set up for it, and well the most popular method of mounting optics on an SKS leaves something to be desired, and the less popular methods can get expensive if you can't do the drilling and tapping yourself.

As was already stated, the SKS will set you back $175(for one in like new condition), another $50 minimum for a synth stock, and maybe another $45-100 to mount a scope if you want to, and in the end you will have a rifle with all the drawbacks of an AK without most of its benefits. As far as the magazines go, there are plenty of five and ten round mags available (I believe that a NIB SAR-1 comes with one) for cheap, and they are still damn near giving away the thirty rounders, with the SKS you can use on of the available duck bill thirty rounders that will probably work fine, for about thirty bucks. Plus if the AWB does sunset your SAR-1 is an American rifle and could be reconfigured anyway you like as long as you watch your parts count, while the C&R eligible SKS is foreign and will still be subject to the executive orders concerning foreign assault wepons.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The other problem I have with the AK is possible retro-active collection of weapons, ie the proposed IL laws.

The place I mentioned online has SKS's from $109 to $149.  Not sure how good the Romanian SKS's are supposed to be.

I really don't give a rat's rear about the value of the gun.  If I shoot it to destruction, then rebuild it that's fine with me.  It's a plinking gun, not a collector piece.

I know I could get an AK for a LITTLE more than I'll have in the SKS when I'm all done, but then what if I want to slap that stuff on the AK?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Either get the 'new' cond Yugo SKS and maybe find one of the 20rnd Chinese fixed mags that were selling around 1-2 yrs ago, or get an AK.

Yugo bbls are not chromed, much of their ammo is corrosive, so go 'new'. Romy and Russian SKSs have chromed bbls, and prices close to the SAR1 with the chrome bbl, pistol grip and scope mount attachment on the reciever.

Modify the SKS and C&R status can be lost to complicate your configuration and parts count issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The Romy SKS is somewhat rare and more of a C & R gun.  They are as good as any other SKS, but more coslty. I would go with the Yugo, or a nice Chi-com.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Modify the SKS and C&R status can be lost to complicate your configuration and parts count issues.

once the gun is c&r, it is always c&r, regardless of modification (as long as it stays legal).  you can replace the stock, replace the barrel, mount a scope, convert to ak mags.  the receiver is still c&r and therefore the gun is c&r.  think about dropping a 32 cylinder in a nagant revolver - that doesn't cancel the c&r.  also aim and centerfire offer sks's w/ synth stocks, c&r status intact.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#13]
How's the durability on the Yugo barrel if it's not chrome-lined?

Also, people poo-poo the accuracy of the AK (I know none of these are Remington Senderos) vs the SKS.  I'd prefer the more accurage gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
c&r.  think about dropping a 32 cylinder in a nagant revolver - .

I would advise against that. The bore diameter is wrong and you will wear out your barrle very fast.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
C&R is a tricky thing.  You can change like items, that is replace a worn part or perhaps change out the stock for a similar stock.  Once you start changing things like mag capacity, adding pistol grips, folding stocks and the like, you are now no longer covered by C&R and must adhere to the AWB limitations.  That is if you take a nice yugo, with genade launcher, bayo, etc, and add a detachable mag, you are now a felon.  Likewise adding pistol grip or folding stock.  This is manufacturing an illegal assault weapon and is not worth it.  I say enjoy for what it is.  If you must add a 5 round fixed mag.  But know what you are doing before you do it.  If in doubt, consult the ATF technical section.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
c&r.  think about dropping a 32 cylinder in a nagant revolver - .

I would advise against that. The bore diameter is wrong and you will wear out your barrle very fast.

i didn't say it was a good idea, just that it can legally and readily be done.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
C&R is a tricky thing.  You can change like items, that is replace a worn part or perhaps change out the stock for a similar stock.  Once you start changing things like mag capacity, adding pistol grips, folding stocks and the like, you are now no longer covered by C&R and must adhere to the AWB limitations.  That is if you take a nice yugo, with genade launcher, bayo, etc, and add a detachable mag, you are now a felon.  Likewise adding pistol grip or folding stock.  This is manufacturing an illegal assault weapon and is not worth it.  I say enjoy for what it is.  If you must add a 5 round fixed mag.  But know what you are doing before you do it.  If in doubt, consult the ATF technical section.

granted - you can't slap a full auto sideplate on a 1919 and just show your type 03 when the atf busts down your door.  also, the awb applies since the sks is semi auto. but modifying a c&r gun (like i said - inside the law) does not cancel its c&r status.

it's just a common misconception that fiddling w/ the gun in any way negates the c&r.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I actually see them as two entirely different rifles even though they fire the same round.  The SKS is far better suited for the range or hunting while the AK is far better for plinking and self defense.

Although friends of mine have put high cap mags on their SKS, I wouldn't dream of it for the same reasons you mention.

I recently bought a Yugo SKS and it's an excellent rifle and can't be more pleased.

I also have one of these which is a combo of both.

Saiga 7.62X39.  Paid $200. Scope is extra.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
My Yugo SKS is definitely more accurate than my SAR-1...hands down.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top