Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 11:07:43 PM EDT
are soldiers over in Iraq allowed to take captured AKs and de-mill them and bring them home?  I seem to recall that someone brought home a kit and built it up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt it...

Not saying it cant be done though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you'd have to fill out a Form 6 for each kit with the reason on the form being "to build a 922(r) complient semi-auto sporting arm".  But I think it could be done, however there might be a DOD regulation against it, but I don't know.  I know they can bring back bayonets and stuff, and even bolt-guns.  So who knows.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Buddy that just got back says there is a general order, nothing comes back....several soldiers got caught with FA AKs under a false floor in a military shipping container...since then they check under your boot insoles too before you leave
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Buddy that just got back says there is a general order, nothing comes back....several soldiers got caught with FA AKs under a false floor in a military shipping container...since then they check under your boot insoles too before you leave

Nothing? Not even kits?  Damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, Bush 1 started it by not allowing war souveneers for the troops, and bush2 has gone even further with the ban. Hell, I brought back all kinds of shit from Viet Nam.. well, nothing f/a or that goes boom, but just about everything else that can be imagined. If I had thought about it, I don't doubt that I could have brought back a ton of demilled ak's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I know an Army Lt. who brought home a Iraqi Ural sidecar rig in pieces. He mailed what he could mail and brought the rest home as household goods. Even the motor was in pieces and marked as an air compressor.  (Techincally it was since it had no ignition or carbs!) That was a year and a half ago. He's since got it all back together and even custom painted the sidecar nose with artwork dedicated to his unit. I met him while he was looking for technical guidance in reassembling it. He even worked with his local DMV to get it titled as a homebuilt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What is stopping a citizen from demiling weapons into kits and shipping them back by the cargo container? How much could you buy a good to excellent AK for...$20, $30, $50?
As long as you torch the receiver and remove the center section that showed it was select fire at one time how can customs or the ATF prove that they were full auto?
You can say that these were single fire only and you got a great deal for the lot!
Any one have any other ideas?
What is stopping a contractor from filling one of his cargo containers full of stuff to bring back?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is stopping a citizen from demiling weapons into kits and shipping them back by the cargo container? How much could you buy a good to excellent AK for...$20, $30, $50?
As long as you torch the receiver and remove the center section that showed it was select fire at one time how can customs or the ATF prove that they were full auto?
You can say that these were single fire only and you got a great deal for the lot!
Any one have any other ideas?
What is stopping a contractor from filling one of his cargo containers full of stuff to bring back?

Form 6s for the barrels.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top