Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 11:42:30 AM EDT
If you were going to mount two AK's side by side in a twin mount (no stocks or pistol grips), how close together would you mount them?

AK's eject forward and up, right?  I'm probably going to have to make a brass deflector for the left gun.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you're going to run into a problem with the charging handle and ejection concerns for the left AK.  Now, you could cut off the charging handle, slot the dust cover and weld a projection onto the left hand side of the carrier, but you've still got the problem with the empty cases.

Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
There's video of a twin mount for AKs in use on the bulletfest 3 or 4 video.  I can't remember which one.  Might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Like this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Close, but I'm going for a minimal look.  No wood except for the spade grips, bare barrels with AMD metal gas tubes, no lower hand guards and the frame will be low profile.  

I've been playing with different spacing.  I need another receiver.  Can you guess which is a cardboard model?

Once I get the basic setup running, I may play with the cosmetics of the guns.  Maybe go for a "Dshk" type look.

I'll probably use a MG42 AA tripod, I like those.

Gotta do something with all the Romie kits I bought!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
You could always mount one of them upside down...Then make a linkage with a bend in it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Naw, I like to keep it simple.  I've already built a twin MG42/22 (Ruger 10/22s with MG42 stock sets) with linked cranks.

Besides, I like the side-by-side look.

Who sells those bolt handle catching selectors?  I think the ability to lock the breechs open would be nice in a set of twins.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Naw, I like to keep it simple.  I've already built a twin MG42/22 (Ruger 10/22s with MG42 stock sets) with linked cranks.

Besides, I like the side-by-side look.

Who sells those bolt handle catching selectors?  I think the ability to lock the breechs open would be nice in a set of twins.

You could always mount one shooting one way and one the other
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You should mount them in an adjustable triangle pattern... with both muzzles closer to each other in an arrow shape. Then, by making the distance between the two muzzles adjustable, you could make them have the same POI at 50, 100, 150, 200 yards. That would be awesome.

Why does it matter if the left gun's shell casings hit the right gun? The reciever cover is not open on the left side so the casing will just hit the right gun and fall down.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Mount them both upside down with a bin in between to dump the casings at your feet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mount them both upside down with a bin in between to dump the casings at your feet.

I think this would be a good way to do it. Might look funny, but mag changes would be easier in this config and you could mount a sight between them....Also leave enough room for a couple of drums...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
The problem with making the muzzles moveable is that it binds the linkage between the cranks.  I tried that with my twin MG42/22's and it didn't work.

Some kind of u-joint incorporated into the linkage might fix that.

As to the casings hitting the other gun, where do they go then?  One of the rules of Murphy's Law of Combat:  Hot brass always goes down your shirt collar!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking this would be fun with a Stang Arms left handed AR receiver  and a standard AR receiver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
For the money that you will have in the twin set up,
you could build a functional Semi-auto 1919A4.

As easy to build as an AK.  You dont even need a press.

I will have about $650 in the gun when i finish it this week.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

KyARGuy

I have an SA M1919A4.  With a shorty barrel.  Also, twin MG42/22's and I'm also building a SA42 (semi-auto MG42).

I like to stay busy.  It keeps me out of trouble
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

KyARGuy

I have an SA M1919A4.  With a shorty barrel.  Also, twin MG42/22's and I'm also building a SA42 (semi-auto MG42).

So, your opinion is that if it doesn't mount on a tripod it's shit?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

KyARGuy

So, your opinion is that if it doesn't mount on a tripod it's shit?  

Not really.  I also have a BW-5, two MAK-90's, an AR-15, am building another AK and a krink and am in the process of buying a G3 clone.  Then I need to start on my Suomi kit...

Though crank fired guns DO work better on a tripod.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Best bet would be to mount the guns upside down with a heart shaped piece of metal to catch brass.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

KyARGuy

'Splain how!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking of this too, and decieded sideways was best, with one ejecting up and one down. I also considerd doing as mentioned before and adding a left side charging handle to the one ejecting down, and then it would be possible to rig a central linkage that could charge both at once. But it could easily be done without that.

Mounting sideways allows room for any size mag or drum.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#20]
You could mill off the charging handles and drill a hole in the bolts and attach a bar, so you can reach in between the guns and charge them both simultaneously and the guns will cycle at the same time. You would have to modify the top cover and both bolts, but AK's are simple and robust and it shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't want to attach the bolts and use 1 center mounted charging handle, you could still mill off the charging handle on the inside gun and replace it with one on the left side or put a smaller one on the inside.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#21]
My twin .22's are mounted 7 inches apart.  In the pic of my AK layout above, they are 7 inches apart.  That leaves enough room to work the bolt.

The guns aim 7 inches apart, but wiggle on the tripod gives a cone of fire about 5 inches wide (these are area fire weapons).  The cones overlap, giving a rough figure eight pattern.

This should apply to the twin AK's too, I think.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KyARGuy

'Splain how!

Kit: ~$300
80% Right Side Plate: $105
Machining of internals W/KMP trigger/sear: $200
Black bear Rivit set: $20
Big hammer, Drills, other items...$25
Total~ $650

This doesnt include a tripod, Pintle, Belt loader or links...But it isnt as much as you think.
I WAS going to do a SBR krinkov, but the kits are much higher than i had hoped.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey... with the AK twin set up.

Wouldnt it be cool to be able to make the gun that is firing, trip the other gun to fire?
Hmmm....Could be really interesting ...:)

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey... with the AK twin set up.

Wouldnt it be cool to be able to make the gun that is firing, trip the other gun to fire?
Hmmm....Could be really interesting ...:)

KyARGuy

Well, with my twin .22's, they are fired by linked BMF Activators (cranks).  The linkage is designed so the guns fire alternately.  I will probably replicate that with the twin AK's, but uisng GAT trigger cranks instead of the BMF (the BMF is little small for and AK).

Another thought I had was to use a butterfly trigger with spade grips.  When you push the tigger down, one gun would fire.  When you release it, the other gun would fire.

The linkage to do this isn't really that complicated.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top