Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2011 1:28:42 PM EDT
I have been thinking about a new project, an AK 7.62X39 Based DMR Rifle that could also fill the Guerrilla Sniper role.
What barrel length gives the best overall accuracy for the 7.62X39 Cartridge??
I also want to keep the overall weight down.  I ask myself, "how much are you willing to lug around?"

Anyone have any thoughts on the barrel length and weight issues.
Pleased let me know.

Thanks,
Chief
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't that what the Iraqi Tabuk was?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I already have something in the works.  Norinco NHM-91 with 20" barrel.  Texas Weapon Systems GEN II scope rail.  Scope will be Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20 MR/T M2 (when it gets here...).

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel length doesn't effect the accuracy of the rifle. Rather, barrel length moreso effects velocity and therefore range, wind drift, etc. Additionally, the 7.62x39 doesn't lose much velocity being fired from a short barrel, and therefore does not gain much from a longer barrel, either. So, in my opinion, the choice should be based upon the rifle itself and not the length of the barrel. 16" is perfect for most purposes. I would personally convert a Saiga for a project like this where accuracy is of concern.

Vellcrow, that is a very nice looking rifle there. I'd love to see it with the Leupy mounted.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Vellcrow,  That is a very nice looking rifle.  Just about what I was thinking about.
My TWS Gen II is on it's way.  I was also thinking about the Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24 Scope.

Chief
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My choice in the role would be a rifle in 7.62x51 or 7.62x54r.

As far as 7.62x39 DMRs go, nothing is cooler than a Tabuk IMO:

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
what about one of the franken PSL's centerfire has. they look pretty mean but IDK how they perform. but you would get a larger round.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-AKFPK-PLUM.aspx
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vellcrow,  That is a very nice looking rifle.  Just about what I was thinking about.
My TWS Gen II is on it's way.  I was also thinking about the Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24 Scope.

Chief

I don't think you can go wrong with the Leatherwood CMR.  It was on my list of scopes, but I bought my Leupold before I went to SHOT Show last week.  I did get to look at the CMR and I think it is a good scope for the price.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
unconverted Saiga with a scout scope?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vellcrow, that is a very nice looking rifle there. I'd love to see it with the Leupy mounted.

Here you go:

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Barrel length has almost no effect on accuracy.

A 12 inch barrel would be my first choice in this caliber.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I built a couple Tabuks with their 23" barrels as well as one with a new factory 16" Zastava barrel.

At 100 yards there was no difference in accuracy between them when using a scope.

The longer sight radius on the 23" barrels gave the iron sights a boost in accuracy for me though.

Those 23" barrels do have a cool factor to them.

Mine:

Sporterized Tabuk with home made red oak stock.

More conventional Tabuk build with Iron Wood Designs teak stock set. (This one is up on their site banner.)

My final Tabuk build done with a new Zastava barrel and again with Iron Wood teak.

All three will make three shot cloverleafs at 25 yards and will shoot sub 2" groups of three shots at 100 yards. Never tried them at longer ranges. All use the excellent two stage RSA FCG.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top